Sign in to follow this  
pony-tail

Caudopunk fry

I was just gravel cleaning my punk tank and I noticed that one pair has about 40 free swimming fry .

The tank is the bottom tier of a 2 tier stand there are 18 punks in the tank and I would like to save the fry .

I have other tanks but none are cycled what would be the best way to go ?

Syphoning them off is difficult because it is so close to the ground - but not impossible .

and Cycling a tank in 24 hours is impossible .

was not prepared for this one :oops:

hey pony tail

comgrats on the spawn

its a shame u have so many other fish in the tank other wise i would probly just leave the fry in the tank for a bit

cheers ben

Hey Ian the parents are normally really effective at protecting the fry, just give them a big shell or similar to hide the babies in and you will be surprised how many survive for at least a week and then they are easier to siphon.

Dave

Do the parents move the babies into a shell at night- cause then you could just take the shell?

I've found the parents move the babies into the shell when threatened by other fish/predators.

Of course some fry are just stupid and swim up to the Gold Comps lookin for love only to find a big hungry mouth.

Dave

They have them in 2 shells all the time - I am feeding microworms ( thanks stace ) to the fry in the shells with a large Syringe and a piece of airline - They just wait there to be fed .

I am hoping they spawn again as I will have a 30 ¨ tank and a couple of sponge filters cycled for them . There are 3 pairs in there possibly 5 pairs ( this is the 3rd of what looks like pairs to have spawned ) they were just stuffed in the 3 foot till I could get a new rack for my 4 footers and what ever it is they are spawning in the 3ft but would not spawn in the 4 foot .

Gravel filters water rocks and shells all are out of the 4 footer and the food is the same brands but a new batch bought a week before they started spawning - only the lights and location are different now in bottom of 2 tier were on top of a 3 tier - the other thing different is that my daughter and her 2 ruggies are away on holidays but I doubt that would make a difference .

Sign in to follow this