Googie85

New Gold Fish And Fish Bowl

I have a gold fish in a 6 ltr fish bowl. Its a small bowl but he seems happy enough (follows my finger). I have purchased Aquarium Salt and Sera Nitrivec, Im unsure of the measurements of the items and what would be suited to a 6 ltr tank. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Matthew.

I have the fish in rainwater and I have no problems without adding chemicals. I want to look after my fish properly and have I have Aquarium Salt and Sera Nitrivec, I just dont know the measurements for the 6 ltr tank. And yes I have plants, should I take them out? I would have thought plants would be good for them. Also I have an air pump in the tank, do I need this?

post-16606-14711634189627_thumb.jpg

Many Thanks,

Matthew.

Hi Matthew, welcome to the forum.

You seem to have done what you thought is best for your fish which is excellent. Well done!

However, I would like to suggest that you try to find the fish a (much) bigger tank. Goldfish do grow fairly quickly and they have a rather large bio load. They will outgrow 6L easily. In my opinion, this would be the first thing you should do to provide a good environment for the fish.

Without going into much detail, in short, plants and air are both good for the fish.

Goldfish and bowls are ridiculous. It should be in a 2foot tank for a start. Look at the adult size... most plants will be eaten sooner or later so plastic r best if you want plants. The pH should be about 7.4 so check that out. Who sold you the bowl for the fish ?? The only thing a bowl is good for is a fighter.

It may seem harsh that people are telling you that you should not have your goldfish in a bowl, however,they are not being mean. They are trying to ensure the health of the fish and that you have a good fish keeping experience. It is obvious that you do care about your fish and are trying to do the right thing by them, otherwise you would not have taken the time to join the forum and post your questions. and I can see from your photo that you are trying to provide a satisfactory environment for your fish..

I keep goldfish. I have 3 comets that are all over 20cm long. To give you some idea of how big they can get have a look at this picture.....post-14718-14711634193818_thumb.jpg. As you can see goldfish get big. they really are a monster fish...and they can live up to 40 years if taken care of properly.

When they are asked to grow up in a goldfish bowl they end up like this:post-14718-14711634194081_thumb.jpg....see how the fish is twisted and has a distorted body shape? That is from lack of space. To have healthy goldfish you should try and get for them a minimum of a 2 foot long tank.... and even then ...that will only do them for a while before you will need to upgrade to something bigger again.

My comets have a play sand substrate (playsand from bunnings)...they love scooping it up in their mouths and sifting through it for uneaten food...I dont worry about plants as they destroy them...they also like to have something to sleep under, like a piece of driftwood or a terracotta flower pot placed on it's side...I also feed my goldfish green peas...just the frozen ones from the supermarket...defrost them in some boiling water to soften and then peel the shell/skin off (they can't digest the shell)...peas are great for their digestion and provide some fibre and green veg to their diet...they also love lettuce, spinach, zucchinni and duckweed..(a plant that floats on tank surface).

I would not worry too much about playing around with your water by adding salt etc...if the pH is stable and the water is kept clean through a diligent cleaning regimen of weekly water changes, that is all that matters. However, because your bowl holds so little water you will be needing to be performing water changes very often..perhaps daily...and remember goldfish are coldwater fish..the water in that bowl during summer will become very warm which may stress your fish...and stress often leads to sickness..

Goldfish produce a lot of waste - they are one of the messiest fish...my tank is 400Litres - to give you some idea of how much space you will be needing to provide them at a later date. You will also need to ensure that they have really good filtration.

I do not know how much you know about the nitrogen cycle and how to perform water changes correctly - I would encourage you to read the posts for beginners on this forum and watch as many youtube videos that you can by good fish keepers:this is a good one for goldfish

.... the more you research you do the less heartache and frustration you will have...

If you look on this forum or ask on this forum, I am sure that you would find a good cheap tank...you may even find someone who is willing to give you a tank. Just ask. You can also find cheap tanks on gumtree and ebay. We all want you to enjoy the hobby as much as we do and the best way to enjoy it is to have healthy thriving fish...it can become quite soul destroying to be constantly losing fish or trying to cure sick fish. Your fish will be healthier and much happier in a larger tank because the water quality is much easier to maintain in a bigger tank .. All the best.

Edited by ORANGEMELLY

Please get a bigger tank! I'm not trying to be mean or anything, and i can see you are caring for him as best you can but goldfish don't do well in smaller spaces. That tank would be a better fighter fish tank. Good luck!

Edited by Cheyenne