liquidg

Acan health decline/recover timing experiment.

I left this one in my bio filter with no light and near no oxygen and phos levels through the roof to change its colouration and forgot it; by the time i remembered, it was near dead!

Just under two months later and its got three more colours and thriving.

Its still a bit pale where it was bleaching, but not bad!

acan-receeding-_zpsfznh5a0e.jpg

acan-feeding-_zpsm0jp0n60.jpg

That looks cool, I'm becoming a huge fan of acans since I got mine.

They have so much variety in colours and look great under moonlight and puffed up after a good feed.

Great effort bringing that one back from the brink but can I ask if all acans change colour under different lighting conditions?

I've been told that rainbows are usually found under ledges in the ocean were there is less direct light. Is that true?

Cheers mick

Yep, colourful acans do not live in strong light and like more nutrients then sps and they more so rely on foods and not photosynthetic subsidised food in take.

The reference on acans i did up shows such diversity of colours, it’s a mazing and near all pics bar a few were taken in very shaded spots or low vis areas!

In the strong light they are usually more one dominant colour, the prettiest acans I have seen, just like capensis coralline algae are in low light and the red is near taken out.

By that I mean in regularly dirty water sites or deep or shaded waters, those areas have very little red spectrum in the available light.

I got a few red/orange leds put in this fitting with 8 other colours and my acans did not do that well, so I turned down the red/orange and they picked up, silly me, I knew from diving that they did not need the red, only garbage none photosynthetic algae responds well to the red, I mean red is in al light to a degree, but god algae needs little red spectrum, oh well you live and learn, every time I hear or see, I have to try and some times believe, till I try it.

There is far more slight to full on garbage out there on marines then most realise.

Oh and they are in the most abundant out off estuaries that eject a large sewerage load or areas that expel lots of rotting organic matter tannin, these nutrients inspire heaps of photosynthetic plankton, which is the ocean being of green water, so then zoos feed on them and both are abundant at one spot, dam good tucker there!

With the disgusting run off from rain evens, the areas that can still hold reasonable salinity levels but have regular conditions that kills many sps species, they are so abundant they try to grow over other colours making bi to tri to to quad and more colour acan communities.

This is an old photo of 4 years back of a two tone I like to see that would not get for any one, its still there, just a lot larger when I was hunting crays last December.

I like to leave references, as in marine life that is stationary to see as time goes on what happens to them or just look in to see how it is going.

I have a now monster red quadricolor bubble anem I look in on and a red acan and a purple crispa, all are over 30 years old now to when I first saw them, very cool to look in on them when at those sites.

bi-colour-acan-_zps0d6d396b.jpg

Edited by liquidg

Awesome info hidden in plain sight on this topic.

I would like to think that I will still have some of the current corals in 10 years let alone being able to see them after 30.

I have noticed the acans respond well to target feeding looking plump and growing nicely.

Cheers mick