mbunamad

My Betta fish room build/erection.

I moved the tanks and other stuff inside to get them in their rightful place. Temporary place for the time being until I get stands for them.

To be continued....

IMG_1140_zps1jtjgrtb.jpg

Edited by mbunamad

This is going to be awesome. How do you reckon the temps inside will go over winter? Just wondering how hard your heaters are going to be working when the weather cools down. You've more than likely got it all figured out anyways. Can't wait to see it all finished and full of bettas.

This is going to be awesome. How do you reckon the temps inside will go over winter? Just wondering how hard your heaters are going to be working when the weather cools down. You've more than likely got it all figured out anyways. Can't wait to see it all finished and full of bettas.

I will have to use individual heaters in each tank during winter.

Because they will be smallish tanks = [less water] I wont have to use high wattage heaters.

I will also attach Styrofoam/coolite to all sides except the front of tanks to help hold the heat in.

I have solar panels on the roof so provided the power companies don't decide to get tighter with the amount they pay me for my excess power going to the grid [haha I bet they will pay less sometime further down the track] extra cost shouldn't be too much.

If you can put coolite around the walls of the room the tanks should hold temp a bit longer, depending on how much water their is.

When I had a big setup the tanks would hold temp most of the night over winter as the water takes longer to cool down than the air.

Cheers mick

Ah solar powered sensational stuff very handy indeed. My mates mrs runs those tiny little Betta heaters in her fighter tanks couldn't imagine they'ed use too much power. Good stuff look forward to seeing it come along.

I moved the tanks and other stuff inside to get them in their rightful place. Temporary place for the time being until I get stands for them.

To be continued....

IMG_1140_zps1jtjgrtb.jpg

All my stands are mad out of cheap as chips 70x35 pine, if you want to pop round again to get some inspiration (if you go with wood, not steel), feel free.

Can always lend you a hand putting them up (note the lack of the word 'erect'!!!)

All my stands are mad out of cheap as chips 70x35 pine, if you want to pop round again to get some inspiration (if you go with wood, not steel), feel free.

Can always lend you a hand putting them up (note the lack of the word 'erect'!!!)

Thanks Chris I will have a look at Bunnings steel racks/shelving first because what I buy might give me options of different heights for shelves etc.

I am pretty liberal so I don't mind using "erect" if and when called for!!

I will have to use individual heaters in each tank during winter.

Because they will be smallish tanks = [less water] I wont have to use high wattage heaters.

I will also attach Styrofoam/coolite to all sides except the front of tanks to help hold the heat in.

I have solar panels on the roof so provided the power companies don't decide to get tighter with the amount they pay me for my excess power going to the grid [haha I bet they will pay less sometime further down the track] extra cost shouldn't be too much.

What if you plumb the tanks directly to the hot water system, or a big kettle

I went to Bunnings Thursday and bought pallet type racking and formboard.

Also got Styrofoam from Clark Rubber [would have been cheaper at Koolfoam but too far out of my way].

I assembled it today and I was happy to have the option of putting the horizontal beams exactly at the height I wanted.

I used cloth tape on the polyethelene sides to help stop them flapping when the wind is blowing.

The electrician comes Tuesday to hook up the power.

To be continued....

IMG_1170_zpsaxww1inu.jpg

I went to Bunnings Thursday and bought pallet type racking and formboard.

Also got Styrofoam from Clark Rubber [would have been cheaper at Koolfoam but too far out of my way].

I assembled it today and I was happy to have the option of putting the horizontal beams exactly at the height I wanted.

I used cloth tape on the polyethelene sides to help stop them flapping when the wind is blowing.

The electrician comes Tuesday to hook up the power.

To be continued....

IMG_1170_zpsaxww1inu.jpg

Hey [MENTION=204]mbunamad[/MENTION] that formboard is just mdf and water is not kind to it ,as it is basically compressed cardboard id paint it and wrap it in plastic or replace it with black formwork board,the formwork board has a water repellant coat on it and the water beads off instead of soaking in,id still paint the edges tho

Hey [MENTION=204]mbunamad[/MENTION] that formboard is just mdf and water is not kind to it ,as it is basically compressed cardboard id paint it and wrap it in plastic or replace it with black formwork board,the formwork board has a water repellant coat on it and the water beads off instead of soaking in,id still paint the edges tho

Reckon he wrote a few posts ago that he used marine grade ply. Should be sweet with that, same stuff it used for my tinny floor 4 years later and couple hundred fishin trips and she's still sweet and solid as. Just make sure If the edges are cut you seal em with a few straight coats of gripcrete and you'll be laughing.

Reckon he wrote a few posts ago that he used marine grade ply. Should be sweet with that, same stuff it used for my tinny floor 4 years later and couple hundred fishin trips and she's still sweet and solid as. Just make sure If the edges are cut you seal em with a few straight coats of gripcrete and you'll be laughing.

Yeh didnt read the post on that he bought marine grade ,the standard stuff those racks come with is mdf

Yeh didnt read the post on that he bought marine grade ,the standard stuff those racks come with is mdf

Hey Willy the board didn't come with the racks.

I bought it separately and can assure you it is sealed.

I had one 4 ft piece cut in halves to give me a total of 6 ft length IE 1 x 4ft plus 1 x 2ft per shelf.

I varnished the edges where they had been cut to seal them.

Very nice, Should be able to fit a fair few tanks in there :)

In regards to the heating would it not be cheaper to run a copper coil under each rack of the tanks? Might work out a little cheaper long term. Just an idea.

I now have tanks on the rack.

The three 30 cm x 30 cm x30 cm tanks on the top left will be spawning tanks and then initial grow out tanks once parents have been removed.

I currently have three male Bettas in assorted size tanks temporarily.

The 3 foot tank on the lower shelf is atm used for seeding spongies and keeping plants.

To be continued.....

IMG_1313_zpsn0cxflee.jpg

I have my air pump on this shelf thingy nice and high.

Its also handy for storing stuff!

IMG_1318_zpscbroidqs.jpg

Edited by mbunamad

Looking good mate keep up the good work wont be long and you'll have this fella over annoying you for bettas to keep his wife happy.

Any joy with the ph down?

No joy Chris! PH dropped from 7.6 to 6.6 but next day it had crept up again.

I have since been told that PH of 7.6 is ok for keeping and breeding Bettas so I am no longer in need of the PH down.

Anyone want to buy a jar of PH down with only 1 teaspoon of powder used from it? Cost me 20 odd bucks I will sell for $15.

No joy Chris! PH dropped from 7.6 to 6.6 but next day it had crept up again.

I have since been told that PH of 7.6 is ok for keeping and breeding Bettas so I am no longer in need of the PH down.

Anyone want to buy a jar of PH down with only 1 teaspoon of powder used from it? Cost me 20 odd bucks I will sell for $15.

I'll buy it off you, can collect at some point this weekend.

I'm intrigued and think I'll have to test this myself!