smicko

Marine breeding attempts

Hi all, i am thinking of starting some breeding of marine fish.

I will try one type of fish at a time and this will be where I will put my pictures, success, failures and anything in between.

My first attempt will be lawnmower blennies just because my pair has randomly bred in my display tank.

I am going to leave them in the display and harvest the eggs or larvae for raising in another tank.

There isn't a lot of info available on breeding them, apparently it's hard to get two that tolerate each other let alone breed together so I am going in blind.

The first thing to do will be to get some marine green water going so I can get some rotifers going, they will be the first food I will use.

Pics to come as i set up for the adventure

Wish me luck lol.

Cheers mick

Sounds good, the damsel variations are the easiest, which includes all clown fish.

Its not easy with space issues and the workload, I haven’t done fish properly, too much work with them.

Back in the very early 80s, just cardinals and goat fish, to me they are the easiest, well sort of, lol, none are real easy if you are lazy like me!

When I went full on collecting, that’s was it for me, till the shrimps again and though they are very easy, it’s still too much work for me to bother with again, lol.

Good luck!

Thanks for the tips.

I had pyjama cardinals breed before but I left them with the male and they became food for the fish.

My blennys are laying eggs weekly so the tank is getting a feed of larvae until I get some rotifers going.

Cheers mick

When I get some light tomorrow I will take pics Mr g. My phone doesn't seem to like taking pics under blues.

I found a site called mofib, (marine fish and invertebrate breeders) there was a member called captain on there talking about attempting to breed blennys and I think he might have been local but he stopped posting without a conclusion. The last I read was 2010 and he had them up to 17 days old. I would love to find him and pick his brain and find out how it concluded. From what he posted it was a mission to get the larvae to survive.

Cheers mick

Good luck Mick and its all trials and learning it seems with the food for the bubbas(chucked in with other peoples experiences! :eyebrows:)..... so yeah mate hope it goes well and I will see what I can dig up mate as I have a great guide to breeding marines(somewhere here amongst the boxes..got to love moving :frusty: )that I will read and see what it says mate about the blennies... :beer:

So I've been a bit lazy lately due to a shattered big toe lol.

The blennys are still laying hundreds of eggs every 8-10 days, i am going to scrape some of the skimmer and try to hatch them this spawn. My biggest issue seems to be food for the fry. I need some zooplankton and phytoplankton which isn't very easy to acquire. I could get sold a bag of water that has no plankton and I wouldn't know so I'm thinking of filling a tank with cheato, get some rotifers going in it and they have plenty of babies at the right time to feed the fry. I was considering drip feeding infusoria but they will die in salt and blenny larvae only eat things that move.

Cheers mick

So you can't by any chance use frozen rotifers, defrost them in some marine water and drip feed the Blenny fry that way?

Sounds almost like you might need to make a Food culture System as per page 164 of Wilkerson's Clownfishes.

Edited by Netto14
Spelling

I've been told by people that have tried before that rotifers are too big for a first food and the larvae feed on plankton as the way it moves entices the larvae to eat. I have a few tricks I will try and report back once I've learnt more.

Cheers mick

I am having a major issue which is delaying my attempts. I can't catch the female blenny, would anybody know of a trick I could use? I've tried traps and a couple of nets, i really don't want to pull the whole tank apart to catch one fish.

Cheers mick

You could try a tiny bait hook / bait jig in those packs of 5 from BCF Mick,

File the little barb off, and a widdle piece of prawn,

I tried it once to catch a troublesome Butterfly fish, every other fish in the tank went for it....... except for that damn farking Butterfly..... :mad2:

P.S..... Probably be best if you DONT LET IT SWALLOW THE HOLE HOOK :drum:

P.S.SSS Do you have any fancy tail guppies? I need some for an outdoor tank im setting up, just thought i'd ask ya while we're here...lol

Edited by borntobreed

I use that method [MENTION=89]borntobreed[/MENTION] works well Picasso trigger, blenny, moon wrasse , commit and that's just out of my marine tank lol

The smallest hook file the barb off and good to go.... Most marine fish are smart if u fail a few times they won't go near it or disappear when the net comes out lol ..... Good luck [MENTION=885]smicko[/MENTION]