jfancygolds

Rock it..?

hi everyone ..just a question..i wish to put some real rock features in my freshwater 4 foot community tank..hidy holes ect for my fish ..just wondering ..should i only use river/ creek rocks /

or can i basically use any rocks ,,as long as they are washed well..any comments would be greatly appreciated ty...

oh ..the fish i have this tank are 1 large angel....common bristlenoses 1 goldspot..pakistani loaches ..upside down catties ..stripped raph cats ect

Edited by jfancygolds

So yer I'd depends on that minerals make up the rock, and wether they are dissolve in water or not.

So rocks with calcium will dissolve, so lime stone Texas holy rock ect. A easy way to test is a acid test, not vinegar it's just stupid. So get a rock and put a drop of a strong acid on it if it fizzled it will alter your water chemistry, now some tanks this is desired some not so much, for your current setup it would be avoided. Now if the rock dosnt fizzle then your a good to go.

You can also do a balancing act with rocks drift wood and water changes but this often results in ph swings and in general just a pain in the ass when keeping fish.

My Current setup I'm working on, rocks and substrate were 10bucks from local landscape yard

post-11301-14711634208351_thumb.jpg

ty very much for your advice and info lictoga..and very nice setup..! and i like the colours you have chosen..ive a mix of wood and river rocks in my 5 foot tank..ill get a updated video of it shortly..but im rescapeing my 4 foot at the moment.

my other half brought some unwanted rocks home from his work recently..from a paddock..some of them look very pretty..but ill take your advice and test them first..ty cheers