grubby

Why can't I culture green water easily

How come I can culture a cracking green water culture in my salt water pool over winter. However when I purposely try to culture green water in a large water cooler bottle with old tank water, plenty of fertiliser and a feeder gold fish for extra nutrients and plenty of sunlight, a week later all I have is a slight olive green tinge, but not the vivid bright green I should have. Any clues I have daphnia that need some green water.:frusty: I never seem to be to able to culture it on purpose just by accident. What am I doing wrong ????

How come I can culture a cracking green water culture in my salt water pool over winter. However when I purposely try to culture green water in a large water cooler bottle with old tank water, plenty of fertiliser and a feeder gold fish for extra nutrients and plenty of sunlight, a week later all I have is a slight olive green tinge, but not the vivid bright green I should have. Any clues I have daphnia that need some green water.:frusty: I never seem to be to able to culture it on purpose just by accident. What am I doing wrong ????

Im not an expert but is plenty of warm/hot sun required?

We have had quite a few cloudy days lately.

How many ppt salt in the pool ?

Well I had to throw two bags of salt in this weekend to get the cell working properly, killed the green off with that, a big shock of chlorine and algaecide. Just waiting for the floculent to do its thing.

A few things, algae requires heat, light, nutrients and some algae to get it going, it might sound silly but your pool was open to the air and the algae blew in or was somehow introduced , try adding some of the algae you want to your container, it might help, just a thought. It also makes sense to be able to chose the algae type you want, as doing it randomly can lead to many unwanted species colonizing your culture. Cheers fishnut