smicko

Aquascape tank

Hi all, this is going to be a progression thread on a tank that I am hoping to do a scape in.

So far I have been gathering supplies, i have some rock, wood and two bags of ada amazonia.

Hardware is a soda stream c02 with regulator and a aqualina power compact high output light with a plant globe. I may go to led in the future or an 8x24w aqualina t5, i would prefer not to use the t5 as it's just too much power to run lol.

My last decision is tank size and whether to filter or not. If i do I might go with the aquael mini cannister.

I am thinking of going 2x15wx18d, 2x18x18 or 18 inch cube. I'm so undecided in that department lol.

Livestock will be 10 rummy nose tetras, 10 corydoras hasbrosus and maybe some shrimp after the plants grow in.

I am also undecided on plant selection except that I will have a moss tree (preferably willow moss)

If anyone has suggestions or experience in regards to tank size and plant selection feel free to chime in.

Cheers mick

Thanks for the tip [MENTION=960]col[/MENTION], i have seen their website before.

I worked out today that aquascapes aren't as easy as Mr amano made us believe lol.

This is how I have it so far.

I welcome any input or criticism, should I add more, should I take something away?

Obviously I need plants but that won't be for a week or two.

Cheers mick

DSC_0294_zpsfcg38cht.jpg

Hi all, this is going to be a progression thread on a tank that I am hoping to do a scape in.

So far I have been gathering supplies, i have some rock, wood and two bags of ada amazonia.

Hardware is a soda stream c02 with regulator and a aqualina power compact high output light with a plant globe. I may go to led in the future or an 8x24w aqualina t5, i would prefer not to use the t5 as it's just too much power to run lol.

My last decision is tank size and whether to filter or not. If i do I might go with the aquael mini cannister.

I am thinking of going 2x15wx18d, 2x18x18 or 18 inch cube. I'm so undecided in that department lol.

Livestock will be 10 rummy nose tetras, 10 corydoras hasbrosus and maybe some shrimp after the plants grow in.

I am also undecided on plant selection except that I will have a moss tree (preferably willow moss)

If anyone has suggestions or experience in regards to tank size and plant selection feel free to chime in.

Cheers mick

one recommendation I can give is that If you are intending a high maintenance garden type tank make sure you can comfortably get your hands to the bottom of the tank as you will be in there a lot .

Other preferences I have are hanging lights - no hood ( all of my current ones a Fluval - sit on the braces type - but not by choice ) make sure lighting are consistent day to day , If possible have a spare tanks so that you can kill the inevitable snails and Allow plants that are grown immerse to acclimate to aquatic prior to planting in the main tank .

Just a note - my tanks are not Amano style - more like tropical jungle I am me not Takashi Amano so I do It the way I want - not to some imaginary set of rules.

Anyway here is a quick snap of one of mine .

post-1094-14711634221336_thumb.jpg

one recommendation I can give is that If you are intending a high maintenance garden type tank make sure you can comfortably get your hands to the bottom of the tank as you will be in there a lot .

Other preferences I have are hanging lights - no hood ( all of my current ones a Fluval - sit on the braces type - but not by choice ) make sure lighting are consistent day to day , If possible have a spare tanks so that you can kill the inevitable snails and Allow plants that are grown immerse to acclimate to aquatic prior to planting in the main tank .

Just a note - my tanks are not Amano style - more like tropical jungle I am me not Takashi Amano so I do It the way I want - not to some imaginary set of rules.

Anyway here is a quick snap of one of mine .

its not about imaginary rules ,its about depth,how the hell do you post pics??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Plant selection depends on what you're trying to achieve whether it'd be a 'dutch' scape, Amano's nature scape, iwagumi scape or biotype etc

Agree with what Col said re. creating depth, IMO is crucial for creating an aesthetic layout e.g. in your case smiko, IMO having different sized rocks (I usually use a sledge hammer to break it up into smaller granules/rock pieces) & also having those rocks laid out in front/behind forms some simple but effective depth cues

For some inspiration, have a search through some well known aquascapers such as Takashi Amano, Jeffery Senske, Oliver Knott, Tom Barr. Interestingly you'll also notice each have their different styles, some of which are very 'nature-like', art/picturesque, minimalistic & through to some outrageously whacky but creative/eye-catching scapes.

Thanks for the tips peeps.

I'm thinking it will be a work in progress type affair for a while and will probably get changed more than once.

I have just setup the c02,filter and light. I also put some of the background plants in I have crypt Balinese, crypt parva and a stem plant of unknown origin, sorry bout that one [MENTION=204]mbunamad[/MENTION]crazydude lol.

I will get an id for you when I'm next at aoa where I got it from.

I have to give a huge thanks to the boys [MENTION=2383]ageofaquariums[/MENTION] for advice in the c02 department and to [MENTION=1338]The Tech Den[/MENTION] for speedy delivery of my ista hob filter, Sera flora and lots of sample foods. I got the delivery within 24hrs which is awesome.

I used some ceramic rings and a marine pure sphere from a cannister I have running so I should be able to put fish in tomorrow.

No pics at the moment, it's rather cloudy after planting.

Cheers mick

Thanks [MENTION=1338]The Tech Den[/MENTION], i might place another order tomorrow for the larger hob filter. I was going to get one yesterday but they were out of stock. I've already done the rock b flip and move, the gold vine moved itself when I filled the tank, I'm waiting for it to sink before I work out where to put it.

I might flip it upside down and cover it in weeping moss if i can find some.

I have ammonia and nitrite readings and with cycled media it shouldn't take too long before I can add the 14 rummy nose tetras that I have waiting in another tank.

Cheers mick

No need to apologise mate I have plenty of tanks I can use them on. I really like the slim design of them.

I have considered getting more of the petrified wood. As i said before it will probably go through a few different designs before I find one I'm happy with. It took nearly a year and at least ten rescapes before I was happy with my marine tank lol.

Cheers mick

Here is the tank in its latest scape.

Still not sure if I'm 100% happy with it so I will see how it goes over the next few days.

Please excuse the ugly ass filter, it's just there to clear the dust storm so I don't damage the impeller or clog the media in the hob.

I have fiddled and setup the c02 but it's not running at the moment until I get some carpeting plants that will need it.

As always criticism and ideas are welcome.

Cheers mick

_20150912_082740_zpshdcwvazo.jpg_20150912_083147_zpsqb8nkudo.jpg_20150912_083105_zpsjx0l6nmn.jpg

Edited by smicko

Totally agree [MENTION=6434]bluebelle[/MENTION], the c02 will be turned on after the hc goes in.

I have tried and failed with hc a couple of times so this time I'm giving it every opportunity to grow.

I haven't decided if the crypts will stay in long term or if I will try something else a bit more demanding of light and c02.

Cheers mick

Plants will hide the heater. The thermometer is going to the back, one of the hob filters is going and the diffuser is behind the wood now.

It's my first setup like this so I wanted to make sure everything was working and how it works. I have to do something with the c02 it takes around half an hour after its off for the diffuser line to empty and I want to run it on the same timer as the light.

I'm thinking of putting a check valve close to the diffuser to stop this or get an all in one check valve, diffuser and bubble counter.

I don't mind the criticism of the scape, it's the only way to learn.

Cheers mick

So the scape is finished (maybe lol)

The look I'm going for is the hc to look like a duckweed covered pond with the hair grass and lillyopsis(spelling may be wrong) will be the reeds.

I am attaching the crypts to the piece of gold vine. I've grown crypts like this before and once the wood is covered with roots it looks great, in my opinion anyway.

Can't wait for it all to grow in and see how it looks.

I forgot to take out the thermometer and c02 gauge before taking the pic.

Cheers mick

_20150920_152257_zpsjlhoumkl.jpg

I have one tip for people thinking of doing a high tech planted tank.

DON'T KEEP RECORDS OF SPENDING.

Just worked our this 2ft tank cost me $670, i already had the light just got a new globe and I got the c02 regulator and bottle second hand and cheap from a member here.

I'm off to burn the evidence before my wife finds it, she gave me free reign on this tank after i spent a small fortune on her reef tank but I don't think free reign goes this far.

If you don't hear from me for a while I expect people to avenge me lol.

Cheers mick

Im going in fully armed, I've tried hair grass and hc a few times and failed so I'm not letting it beat me this time. I have a couple of low tech tanks in the garage and they look great. This is my first attempt at a scape and it may be my last unless I win lotto lol.

Cheers mick