Hydra ironised 50 internal filter

12 x disc mists maker 2 x aquaworks 9watt led cree

300 watt led white/blue lighting

easy-life products

NO CHEMICALS

1 x wavemaker

...breeding Blue sky platys

post-11265-14711634276371_thumb.jpg

Nice looking tank [MENTION=11265]itsme007[/MENTION];822637 you should start your own thread to show it off.

Here is some new pics, i moved the hairgrass as it was growing quicker than the hc and I didn't want it to take over.

The second pic comes with a question.

Why am I getting what looks like bba and how do I kill it?

Cheers mick

_20151002_173744_zps7amoajak.jpg_20151002_173656_zpslycc2esr.jpg

Cmon [MENTION=960]col[/MENTION], i expect professional quality pics lol.

I only use a phone for pics and I think they are a truer representation, not photoshop to look better.

Nice looking tank, how long has it been running?

Cheers mick

Thanks Mick probably been running since around may this year I have to trim weekly have also made a few changes to the plants also the carpet on the right is only a month old

sorry for pic quality only taken with phone cam tank%20oct.jpg

This is fantastic. Wish I had this talent but unfortunately I can't even keep java fern alive. Sigh

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Howdy all, i worked out that the hairgrass I bought isn't what it was claimed to be, i was after the shortest version, i haven't had enough coffee yet to remember the name of it lol. The one I have is just over 15cm tall and still growing so I decided to get rid of the stem plants at the back and put the hairgrass in its place.

Everything seems to be growing nicely but I am battling snails (not many) and bba.

I have been using h202 to kill the bba and I will be using copper to kill the snails, i have a few shrimp in there but they are only culls as can be seen in the pics so I'm not to worried if they survive or not.

Enjoy the pics peeps.

Cheers mick

_20151010_074725_zpshqmavawe.jpg_20150922_081335_zpscmiwpsbt.jpg_20150921_134010_zpsh45xdtlq.jpg_20150921_134150_zps95z9zlf3.jpg

Edited by smicko

That's the one mate, not real happy cause I hoping to have a few levels of plants but it happens. I got it from rocklea market so at least it was cheap, hc lilaeopsis and hairgrass $3 a pot and it came with free bba lol.

Plants are the only thing I went for the cheapest option with but it's a lesson learnt.

Cheers mick

Thanks [MENTION=11475]Jase86uxb[/MENTION], I'm am still envious of other people's scapes. I am still a student compared to most.

[MENTION=11301]Lictoga[/MENTION], the keepers look like these, it's all in the legs.

Old pics but they are the clearest I have

Cheers mick

IMG_20150110_144818_zpsr2y7oqxz.jpg2014-03-23_15.21.03_zpsgsgw35vj.jpg

Another day, another scape lol.

I will be happy with it one day.

I not only changed the scape I also changed the light from a 45cm t5ho to a 2ft petworks 6500K led today so we will see what changes that creates.

The only issue I have at the moment is black beard algae that I have been trying to kill with peroxide for the last few weeks but all it killed was my shrimp.

I have some aquapics bba removal liquid being delivered next week so that should kill it for me.

Thanks for staying tuned. I was thinking of setting up another scaped tank but the wife found $500 worth of receipts so that won't happen any time soon lol.

I didn't have the nuts to tell her that it wasn't all of the receipts.

Cheers mick

_20151024_182023_zpskfttcas8.jpg

Keep us updated about bba treatment, please, and if it works. I wish they would

make something to get rid of that pain for good. I have the feeling bba is getting

resistant to available treatments.

Anyone care to comment?

I started the bba killer yesterday, it's a two week deal so I will update as it goes along.

I can't do waterchanges during the treatment which got me thinking.

I will start a thread with a question for plant peeps.

Cheers mick

So i was sick of watching the algae slowly take over the tank.

Solution was a massive haircut and 90% waterchange, i will still be dosing the no more bba and I will keep you all updated on the progress.

A couple of pics to show what I was battling and what it looks like now.

I also found a shrimp that survived the h202 dosing I was doing before getting the no more bba.

Cheers mick

_20151030_173034_zps0q5bougn.jpg_20151030_173054_zpsfmc9p5f2.jpg_20151031_160948_zps4rcnaoff.jpg_20151031_161754_zpshujhvhmh.jpg

Edited by smicko

A question for those more knowledgeable than myself, should I stop the c02 earlier than the light? At the moment they are both on the same timer so there is a little delay between the solenoid shutting off and the last bubbles of c02 clearing the diffuser. I am thinking of running a separate timer and starting c02 10 minutes before light on and shut down half an hour before lights off.

In other news I have added a background on the tank and taken the ceramic rings out of the hob and put ammonia, phosphate, nitrite and nitrate removal pads in its place so no more biological filtration apart from the soil which was seeded with a few good squeezes of a really dirty sponge filter.

Even before I added a filter it took care of the ammonia leaching from the ada amazonia so should be plenty.

I'm hoping the chemical filtration means there is nothing for algae to feed on apart from ferts which the plants should out compete the algae

Cheers mick

I didn't think plants could process c02 at night, i may be wrong I'm sure tom Barr whoever he is knows more than I do about planted tanks.

Time for some good ol googling.

Cheers mick

No pics today, it's a bit cloudy.

I have set the c02 as [MENTION=960]col[/MENTION] suggested and I pulled the hairgrass, it was starting to take over the hc so it's been replaced with some crypts, parva I think.

I'm considering adding a layer of fine black substrate to cap the ada, it seems to cloud the tank whenever I go within 3 feet of it.

Would that make the ada less effective? I'm thinking it may stop it buffering the ph but I'm not concerned about that as long as the plants grow.

Cheers mick

New pic, i added a bolbitus (spelling may be wrong) and the bba hasn't come back.

I've continued using the no more bba from aquapics and added chemipure elite to the filter to reduce phosphate.

Everything seems to be growing well, the hairgrass was growing too well so most has been put in another tank along with most of the lillyopsis.

Cheers mick

_20151114_111244_zps6df9tfae.jpg_20151114_111550_zpslilk5dfi.jpg