billfish

eradication of snail hordes in shrimp tank

ok so heres the lowdown, i bought some java moss at the auction saturday and now my shrimp tank is overrun by snails.

my question is will copper kill shrimp as well as snails or is there another option ?oh ye they are cherries if that makes any difference

thx guys

ok so heres the lowdown, i bought some java moss at the auction saturday and now my shrimp tank is overrun by snails.

my question is will copper kill shrimp as well as snails or is there another option ?oh ye they are cherries if that makes any difference

thx guys

You probably don't have malaysian trumpet snails so removing most shrimp and dosing with copper would probably do but the best way to start fresh is to totally clean your tank out. I would net out all the plants, substrate and shrimp into a bucket and rinse out your tank totally clean. Then place bucket back into your tank and encourage as many shrimp as possible to swim out over a few hours. Make sure you check bucket sides and don't let any snails climb up/out. Then remove bucket and destroy with copper or chlorine. Provided you don't have malaysian trumpet snail, you can re-use your substrate and surviving plants.

If you don't remove everything and just treat the tank with copper, make sure to re-treat with copper again in 2 weeks to catch the snails that were eggs during the first dose.