hello..after losing yet another thermometer,,i went down to local lfs for a sticky..and to get another..

i was looking at the array they have there ??..and theres one with a hydrometer..and thermometer in one deal...

only a coupla $$ more.. so I'm going to check this out......instructions say.

indicator below waterline,add salt...above waterline,add fresh water ...something like that...

so..i went thru all my setups ..it sez to add salt to all of them.???.[cept 4 one certain tank]

my process is...

I put 2 heaped teaspoons of natural rock salt [supermarket.no iodine] per 20 litres water...

on each 20 litres i take out at water change..also..the reading[on hydrometre] dont actually say how much to add..

thats easy to figure out tho...so the big question is ...trust this thing...???am i doing it wrong again...[dammit] add salt ect.to get its reading rite ???

..is it actually reading hardness/sofness of water????... i use these things at work for other reasons..never thought about it in fish tanks

.it is a good brand name...Ive got both americans n africans...

dont get to technical.LOL.thanks ,,dave...

....i didnt add salt....as i think that i do put the right amount in..be it cheap supermarket salt...

so how can you tell hardness/softness..or...do have I enough salt ??...or not enough in my tanks ??

I know it does matter ...right ??...LOL...at the least the thermoniter works ...

Edited by gassman

To tell water hardness you will need to test Gh and Kh, you can also test tds. These tests will tell you how much mineral is in the water but they won't tell want types of minerals they are.

For the africans I would use rift lake salts, they come in a few brands depending on how much you want to spend. They contain all the minerals that these fish need to thrive, it's more than just salt they need.

Plenty of people keep africans without adding anything but I found they had better colours and lived healthier and longer.

For the Americans I wouldn't worry about salt unless they get an injury, salt helps them heal and stops secondary infection.

Cheers mick

Why you type so quick [MENTION=9246]Donny@ageofaquariums[/MENTION].

Maybe I'm just slow lol.

Cheers mick

Be careful [MENTION=885]smicko[/MENTION]onefingertypist Donny is after your Section Advisor cra oops cap coz he wants to bring off topic whaling thread out of the wilderness.