aronshab

Freshwater Refugium - Algae Scrubber

Hi All

Previously I had a saltwater refugium as my filtration and i pretty much swear that it helped my marine tank look the way it did.

Could the same thing be done with freshwater tank but have it act more of an algae scrubber as in location for algae to go crazy.

Regards Aron

Hi All

Previously I had a saltwater refugium as my filtration and i pretty much swear that it helped my marine tank look the way it did.

Could the same thing be done with freshwater tank but have it act more of an algae scrubber as in location for algae to go crazy.

Regards Aron

Of course mate, where there is nutrients for the algae to thrive it will. Keep in mind if you have planys in the tank they will suck out some nutrients also and may make it less effective. However if it's just a fish only tank then yeah I'm sure it will work as well as a fuge in a scrubber fashion. Will be interesting to see actually.

Oh i have HM already going crazy in my 8ft tank. but i was thinking something around 2ft shallow slow water in and out with a high light. and more HM or some other fast growing plant. was also thinking red, blue LED strips i read that somewhere about an algae scrubber using red and blue led strip lights.