eung

filter for 60/45/45

how many lph would be recommended for a 60/45/45 tank size. i heard that 10x turnover in an hour is recommended but will the flow be too much for shrimps to handle? i am hoping to get it quite heavily planted would a eheim 2217 be to much or should i just go with a 2215.

btw newb question but why is the ehiem 2217 like $100 more than the aqua one aquis 1200 i know that the brand is better what else is it that the price is such a big difference?

It depends on what else you would have connected to the filter e.g. inline heater, chiller, co2 equipment, etc.

Personally I would go with a larger filter. You can always turn the outlet/spray bar and point it towards the wall of the tank or, if not running CO2, angled upwards to the surface to promote gas exchange.

Personally....planted tank+ shrimp = low flow= 2211

Many people on forums recommend high flow rates....my opinion is they don't understand filtration

Germans do....that's why they generally recommend lower flow rates

The most important consideration is biological filtration....fact is low flow rates give higher efficiency for bacteria to process ammonia>nitrite>nitrate

next issue is mechanical filtration....if you overfeed you need to pick up the left overs....stirring up the water more does this better

so....given you have a planted tank and shrimp

GO Low flow, and feed carefully....no need to turn your tank into a washing machine...:)

Edited by Rod

Currently I am running a worx 1200 lph canister with a chiller on a 60x38x38cm heavily planted shrimp tank. I find the flow to be adequate and not strong at all. Granted the canister is not an eheim (2217 I believe is rated at 1000 lph) and I cannot say for certain the rated specs for the worx canister are accurate, I have no issues with flow.

I'll suggest getting onto a shrimp forum as you would most likely get more comprehensive info from experienced shrimp keepers there. Shrimps have very low bio load so any of the filters mentioned above would handle the load easy.

Eheim recommend the 2211 filter for tanks up to 40US gallons

a 600x450x450 is 121 litres or 31US gallons....

There is no reason/gain/cost advantage/benefit to get the 2217 over a 2211....that I can think of

If there is...I'd Love to hear it

I kinda think that Eheim....given it's heritage know something about filtration....

I wouldn't go a 2217. I have have one on a 120x45x38 and the flow was way too strong for my angels. Had to run the spray bar the full length of the tank to bring the flow down. I run a 2215 on a 60x30x38 and the flow seems more then enough i have extra tubing to reduce the flow a little. I'm still only new the hobby too. I was told to buy eheim or fluval. Even though eheim are kind of expensive they are worth it. No troubles at all.

I think a 2215 would be perfect for your set up. In saying this, you could get away with power head and some sponges filters due to the low fish load. If you do get a canister make sure you get a a shrimp guard for the intake or you will find alot of shrimp in your canister when you clean it

Edited by kehw

I have a 2217 on a 3 footer and it's about perfect, easily handle any problems a 3 footer can have. I have both a 2213 and a 2215 on almost the same sort of load on 2 footer's and at times the 2213 can't quite handle it, the 2215 is pretty handy even on bigger tanks but the 2213 is only for easy going.

Edited by saczel
read a bit more