connorgrzesiak

Black and Yellow Fish ID

I was trying to catch prawns in the Brisbane River and happened to catch this guy. Can someone give me an id on this fish, and what it might eat? It looks to me like some type of predator fish... possibly a stone fish or bullrout?

Thanks to all the following posters for helping to identify the fish as a QLD groper. The fish was returned to the river in good health.

post-16643-14711634225454_thumb.jpg

Edited by connorgrzesiak

Yeh mate that’s an epinephelus lanceolatus, the Queensland groper and I have no idea why some one is going nuts on here and abusing you, you didn’t kill it and its a natural mistake, you didn’t know what it was and asked here, you will release it straight away I assume exactly where you got it, so no harm done.

But say no more on this because we are not legally allowed to release any life back to the waters once it has been in an aquarium!

I reckon some folks are lurking desperately waiting on some one to make a mistake and jump on to inflate their ego.

You shouldn’t have kept it, sure, but you didn’t know and that will be fixed straight away, right, so all good and any one that looks at this thread has learnt about this fish from your experience!

Everything has to be learnt in our lives, so just imagine, when no real harm has been done, if most others acted like that to others that are learning throughout there lives, yuk, what a life that would be!

Makes you wonder why some folks are not culled by nature, so others can live a reasonable life as they learn about how to live and what is around us.

Yeh mate that’s an epinephelus lanceolatus, the Queensland groper and I have no idea why some one is going nuts on here and abusing you, you didn’t kill it and its a natural mistake, you didn’t know what it was and asked here, you will release it straight away I assume exactly where you got it, so no harm done.

But say no more on this because we are not legally allowed to release any life back to the waters once it has been in an aquarium!

I reckon some folks are lurking desperately waiting on some one to make a mistake and jump on to inflate their ego.

You shouldn’t have kept it, sure, but you didn’t know and that will be fixed straight away, right, so all good and any one that looks at this thread has learnt about this fish from your experience!

Everything has to be learnt in our lives, so just imagine, when no real harm has been done, if most others acted like that to others that are learning throughout there lives, yuk, what a life that would be!

Makes you wonder why some folks are not culled by nature, so others can live a reasonable life as they learn about how to live and what is around us.

I wish I had said that :clap2:

I was thinking exactly the same thing when I read this thread.

Hey, thanks guys for all your input! Haha, funny how such a simple thing can turn into a mess of politics. Anyway, I went ahead and released it back into the river. I think it's the safer and most honest bet :) It was a privilege to get a closer look at such a beautiful species and thank you all again for your help.