Hi.

I was out and about today and heard an extraordinary claim at a LFS. Nothing unusual about that, but this one has peaked my curiosity. The claim went along the lines of a customer, with somewhat a background im biology, was setting up a new 1500L tank. To kick things along, they combined 473ml API CO2 Booster with double the amount of Quickstart. The result, observed under a microscope, was roughly a 3 fold increase in the bacteria population against just using Quickstart alone! Given that glut is not, for the most part, the most friendly of compounds, i'd been expending a result more akin to nuking a planet from orbit! But seemingly no.

Has anyone heard of or come across similar information? I did a quick hunt but nothing immediately turned up. It would certainly be a very useful combination.

Cheers.

Does make sense if you think about it. Basically areobic bacteria will start off first, if you dose(or diffuse) something like co2 that decreases the amount of oxygen in the water (however so slightly) the anaerobic bacteria will have more of a kick start in the water column (where dosed nitrifying bacteria will start irrespective). It would also then make sense that having a rotation of co2 being diffused and an air stone running (much like you would for a day/cycle on a planted tank) would help even more? Each state the bacteria grows in gets its optimal growth habitat in a day (within the water column at least) and surely that has to help it flourish and communise your media / substrate etc. This however i guess would rely on whether dosing quickstart/ prime etc contains both aerobic and anaerobic bacteria under the label "contains millions of nitrifying bacteria" i guess it would to some degree?

Pmsl Donny, interesting way of putting it, as always! I think i'd rather not ferment my critters though! Some very interesting thoughts jon. I wish i had the facilities to test this a little more empirically but it could still be worth some experimentation! It'd also be interesting to see the difference between API Quickstart and Seachem Stability. Might have to see if santa brings me some better eyes... ;)