Bek

Thank you!!!!

For those of you that remember, I jumped on here a while ago asking for advice on how to care for my fish and tanks, after I found myself suddenly single and they became MY responsibility!!!

Today, I changed the water, about 2 thirds of it, I caught the barramundi from his 4 foot tank and slowly adjusted his water (in the giant storage tub he was in) to the water in the big tank (you guys all know what I mean!!!)

Followed the directions on everything, put in extra Prime coz I wasn't sure about the water, heard different things, a dose of Melafix, got in and rearranged their logs to create more hidey holes and different swimming levels for the barra, the cod and some niches for the pleco... this is the result! Looks a little busy, but I'll rearrange it as they all get used to each other again.

I even hooked up the light, the big tank didn't have one.

Just feeling ridiculously pleased with myself!!!! I did it :-) And I bought a gravel siphon to stop the problem of fish **** in the mouth ;-)

I wanted to thank ANYONE and EVERYONE who gave me advice and offered help. You guys are really awesome, and I will enjoy learning off you all <3

Won't let me upload a pic :-(

Happy that no tussles have ensued.. and the barra and the cod both ate :-) without fighting. Yes I know the tank is too small, I will start saving for A 6FT. Until we move though, I think this will do.

Honestly, just to know I did that.... you have no idea!!! Reckon I've spent about 2 hours sitting and staring at them... even the pleco seems to like the new set up! I love these guys.

AND I cleaned out my nano tank of excess plant growth and discovered dozens of tiny baby cherry shrimp!!! I'm doing something RIGHT :-)

Just excuse me while I gloat a little....

[MENTION=13355]Bek[/MENTION] ,good to see you got the tank up and maintained,dont be afraid to ask even the dumbest of questions cos we all started somewheree ,just not always thrown in the deep end!

Theres always someone that will be able to answer your questions

Youre obsession is just starting ,enjoy the ride

Oh but they're my favourite ;-) I'm going to do the best I can by these guys, they are as much members of our family as all the other babies!!!! Although for th first time today I saw how stupidly LONG a pleco's poo is... just fed him half a zucchini so see what that does! Now to get onto some live food for the other guys...

Oh well gee [MENTION=9246]Donny@ageofaquariums[/MENTION].... what exactly is the canister intake?? Is that the filter bit the water goes into (there it is, the NOOBness!!!)! Umm, coz that's where it's always been?? Should I lower it with some longer pipe? Makes sense now I think about it actually, the waste is near the bottom and all.... AND here's the asking for advice I was talking about ;-)

In essence this is how I reecomend doing it.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTxTLkGFyMyg4-bQwyeyF47Z8LtYeY4j2j0qXKLU8yDIEic_Fhggw

Now a few points of note.

Your canister doesnt have a spray bar, which is good as i would reccomend removing it if it did.

Intake and output are both in same corner. This shortens the hose needed and creates a very efficient undertow circulation of water.

The intake is deep enough that it will not suck air if we do a 50% water change. This is optimal as you do more water changes than canister cleans generally, and this means we can keep canister going during drain and fill.

Thanks [MENTION=4220]Bully[/MENTION]!!! Feel free to pop in any time and tell me how to do it better (seriously!!!!)

Thanks [MENTION=9246]Donny@ageofaquariums[/MENTION], that makes sense to me.. although sounds like a fairly big job to change given I'd have to get to the back of the tank. Don't know why the ex (who was the 'expert') set it up like this!! Hmmmm......