oscar1986

Nano shrimp tanks up and running

Hey all just wanted to share my new up and running nano tanks, been working on these for last few weeks and have just added my resident shrimps. Two 5 gallon tanks, one with red cherry shrimp and the other with ghost shrimp. Can't wait to see how they go!

Any comments or advice welcomed, this is my first attempt at shrimp keeping :)

04f14c985c8469a30626cdc2611e4e84.jpg

79f522a0d127104575cf46359ffa0699.jpg

f31acaa48946e37a38b3e1be4928f62d.jpg

1df2d2e11438b6858bb11e37110c5ef5.jpg

Edited by oscar1986

Nice looking tanks you have there.

What are the mesh things? Where did you get them?

The best advice I could give is do small waterchanges, only 5-10% weekly or fortnightly and once the shrimp start breeding keep the best and feed off the rest.

Cheers mick

Thanks mick, I'm sure my oscar will enjoy the culling! I made the mesh objects out of plastic gutter guard mesh just tied it together with fishing line, made a cube and some half logs. Just another thing the shrimp can crawl on and hide under

Edited by oscar1986

That's no good, what are the parameters of the ghost shrimp tank.

The most important are ph, Gh, Kh and tds. Also check ammonia, nitrite and nitrate just to be safe.

If there is nitrate over 10 that could be a cause but deaths are using to do with minerals as they need the right amount to be able to molt.

A few people on here are good with shrimp so I'm sure we can find a resolution for you.

Cheers mick

Gh could be a little higher, it's at the bottom of the range so if this how the water you're using comes out I would worry too much as stability is the most important thing.

You could add a handful of crushed coral or shell grit and it will bring the hardness up a little and hold it there.

If they are breeding and happy I wouldn't touch it.

Cheers mick

Things are going well I have 2 berried cherry amongst a dozen, and 1 lone surviving ghost shrimp... All doing well... GH 5 and TDS 130.. Just waiting for some babies! [MENTION=7539]OzShrimp[/MENTION]

8cfe7880f3288ef2631b532e164f9d72.jpg

Your tank must be full of shrimp by now! did you get any good shrimplets out of the bunch