Slipshodman

Electric Gravel Cleaners

Hi guys and gals

I am considering getting myself one of the electronic gravel cleaners that are around.

For me i want to separate the duties of cleaning gravel and doing water changes (suits me this way) but i don't want to spend a fortune if i can avoid it

So i am after suggestions on

- which ones you use

- Experiences you have had

- Are they worth the money

- Good V's Bad

- Has someone made a home made version form old bits and bobs

Cheers

the one i have lasted about 10 min it sucked up some stones in to the impeller and i didnt see it do it didnt even hear any difference in the noise it made it just stopped pumpung water so i pulled it apart and it was trashed

[h=1]New Fish Tank Aquarium Black ABS Vacuum Cleaner Pump Water Filter Syphon Pond[/h]

Edited by Adverse Effects

They are a waste of money 98% of the time. (The only person I know that liked it was disabled in a wheelchair... I don't know how long he thought it was good for but )

They are only good to pick up chunky poo and uneaten food*.

The filter bag allows out so much sediment its not funny, which in itself makes it rubbish. (Specific type is the eheim version that I speak of )

Its easier/cheaper to go to Mitre10 and buy a bit of clear hose/garden hose for a couple of bucks.

A "cheap" version would be a power head attached to the end of the hose and drain that way, but a ph would be $40-50... or get a 1inch pipe and it'll drain out a hell of a lot quicker then a normal syphon/garden hose diameter.

Edited by thatsright99

Thanks for all the responses guys

Seems they may not be that crash hot for the money

So a couple of options i will look at

[MENTION=15918]Adverse Effects[/MENTION] simple idea, any ideas on what size pump so it doesn't just rip gravel up into it, i figure you would have to have a good compromise on ltrs per hour to get the gunk but no the gravel

[MENTION=15385]plecosam[/MENTION] , whats the Air Lift Pump you speak of , a diagram would be very handy and appreciated if you could enlighten me

The Eheim works perfectly on large particles, but does let out the really fine sediment. Still, it still puts the fines back in the water column allowing your filter/water change another chance to do it's job. Steer clear of sand, it will shred the connection between the magnet/impeller making it sloppy to the point of not spinning.

Personally I'm over gravel, sand is king. Hard for particles to fall between pieces of sand and the fish stir the substrate all the time.

[MENTION=15918]Adverse Effects[/MENTION] simple idea, any ideas on what size pump so it doesn't just rip gravel up into it, i figure you would have to have a good compromise on ltrs per hour to get the gunk but no the gravel

its not realy the Lt p/h its how high (head hight its called) you need to pump it back from the bucket (on the floor i am guessing) back up to the tank and also how fast your syphon gravel vac is empting the tank / filling the bucket

as for getting gravel in the pump that is why you put a filter on the input of it to stop that (something simple as filter sponge or filter wool covering the intake of the pump)

but i am guessing something like Aquapro Water Feature Pond Pump would do the trick no problems at all