I have an IBC where I was hoping to store water for water changes. I filled the IBC and treated the water, so it would be ready when I am. Tap water is 1.0 ammonia, Nitrite level of tap water is 0. My problem being is have just tested the water and I have .5 ammonia (so water treatment has lowered it and it is aging) but I have .25 - .5 Nitrite levels so that is what I am concerned about as it is creeping up.. Is it trying to do a cycle? Should I be doing anything with the water whilst stored in the IBC to avoid the Nitrite increase or should I not store water in there for any period of time? It's only been full for a week. I have a power head in there stirring it up but that obviously isn't doing anything. Any advice would be appreciated.

the nitrite is a result of the amonia/ammonium being converted to nitrite. dose the power head have a sponge on it? a small filter is all you realy need to quickly deal with the amonia. also surface movement is what i aim for when storing water as it helps to de gas some additives from the water treatment process. other than that its normal. as long as your filtration can handel the small increese in levels at a w/c the it should be no problem

Thanks, it doesn't have a sponge on it as it is clean water, wasn't sure that I needed a 'filter' as such, I was really just looking for surface movement but as the level will drop significantly through the water change process wasn't sure where to place the powerhead so as to not burn it out whilst doing the change so placed it mid height hence there isn't alot of surface movement, but on rethink as I type this I just turn it off whilst changing doh!! It really helps to talk through a problem to get to a solution, I could have spent another couple of hours stressing about whether to dump the water or not and still not come to any conclusions. so you don't think that spike is an issue requiring me to dump the water? Thanks for your reply