plecosam

AAA grade fish on facebook

they have been doing it for years,they grade them themselves so of course there going to grade them aaa,they should realisticly be graded wild caught,f1,f2 etc.the funny thing is the people that are advertising these aaa grade fish are the same people that wont let anyone advertise wild caught or f1 f2 on there group page without proof, ive asked them many of times where is there proof that they are aaa grade,the reply I got was a ban from there group.

Not much is sold up here, there is one very good breeder I know of in Cairns, and @none in Mackay, the northern Facestalk groups are full of bullies, misinformation and know it alls. A lot of people cannot spell let alone form a sentence, it's rather embarrassing really.

That is not to say there are not descent Facebook groups and perhaps the minority ruin it for the majority, I have not bought a fish from a local.

Edited by plecosam

AAA Grade, Show Grade/Quality, Rare and/or Imported, a lot of words get thrown around to sell fish. These terms were used long before FB so it's not a FB thing. It's a sellers thing. As others have mentioned, a marketing tool.

Some fish do have grades or show qualities. Once you get in to a specific species, or breeds, etc, you find some do have grades.

However, anyone can enter a fish in to a show, it doesn't necessarily mean the fish is show quality. Judges at a show can only judge the fish that are entered, and there has to be a winner, typically based on a least faults scale. This doesn't always necessarily mean all entries (and some times even the winner) are genuine quality fish.

Recently a betta was advertised on here and on Gumtree as show grade/quality. It was a nice looking betta, and would definitely make a great looking pet, and was bought from a show, but it was not show grade quality and would have been faulted out of the class it would have been entered in to.

A good looking fish is a good looking fish (sometimes it's in the eye of the beholder). Some times one person thinks a fish is good looking, while another person will think the same fish is rather ordinary or a poor example.

Many clubs do run judging apprenticeships, and/or talks on showing fish and judging criteria.

In almost all cases AAA is meaningless and a case of a seller trying to pull a few more dollars from mediocre stock - basically just sucker bait.

Also in most cases true of "F!" or "F1 german " with the former without provenance is meaningless the latter just simply does not exist .

It comes down to " if you like the fish and think they are worth the money buy them " " If you do not like the fish do not buy them " and finally "if you like the fish but think them overpriced - haggle or make an offer and if they say NO be prepared to walk away empty handed "

Edited by pony-tail
spelling error

It's a marketing ploy plenty of hobbyists have used it before to entice other hobbyists to view there post or whatever cause it sounds like there great quality. At the end of the day if the fish look good regardless of what someone has wrote you will buy them if the quality suits your needs. Assuming if someone wrote 'aaa grade' , 'high quality ' you would think there going to be some decent yellows of offer otherwise people would comment and state the obvious if there not as cracked up as they have said. unsure why you keep blaming Facebook for everything I see you write Cause this stuff gets posted EVERYWHERE including here I hate to tell you.