fishfriendzzz

Oscar sensory pits, pop eye or HIH?

Hi.

I'm hoping someone may be able to help with an Oscar issue. A couple months back, i started noticing white markings around the eyes of one of my chocolate oscars, Casey. Casey is a bit of a jumper though (not out of water thankfully) and often gets small nicks and scratches so i wasn't hugely worried. Over time, these whiteish marks increased to the point of becoming complete white circles around her eyes. My other oscar, Errol, also started developing similar marks which have now also become complete white circles as well.

I had being having some water quality problems due to multiple equipment failures so put it down to being an environmental issues. Now i have that side better under control, i'm hoping to tackle the health issue. It wasn't until i tried getting photos (with the aid of a torch) that i noticed the smaller, pin hole size dots on Casey. These are on both sides of her head and also on Errol. Now i am left with an even larger question. Are they sensory pits, possibly related to pop eye, or hole in the head?

I had initially being thinking the white around the eyes may be pop eye related. Someone suggested Myxazin (which also apparantly is used with hole in the head). These photos where taken about a week and a half after completing a 5 day course of treatment. The white around the eyes may have decreased slightly, but i'm still waiting to see any other benefits.

Any ideas appreciated, particular in relation to ID.

Cheers.

post-12417-14711634272254_thumb.jpg

post-12417-1471163427205_thumb.jpg

If they are deepish and white crater lookin things your oscars have hih. They are very prone to this if water quality is not up to standard. As stated this is almost always a water quality issue as 2 oscars even in a massive tank create a pretty massive bio load and without plenty of water changes it can happen quite easily. Even on a 400-500 litre tank I'd be looking to do at least one 70-80% or "fin level" weekly water changes. That's also assuming these are the only fish in the tank. A few details on your set up size, stock list, filtration and wc regime will help a lot as well as some pics. I'd be starting some pretty big water changes straight up n you may get it it early and they scar over(still look ugly but no where near as bad or painful looking). Other members on her May be able to tell you some neds you can use. I managed to save an albino o years ago just by giving him heaps and heaps of water changes and some salt treatment. Hth

Many thanks benno. These guys are actually in a roughly 2000L pond which has been established for several years. Multiple concurrent pump failures slashed water turnover and filtration capacity to around 1/3. I didn't have the $ to fix it. I've since fixed that, reestablished filters and so on. I am fairly comfortable on that side of things. Now its a matter of getting the genie back in the bottle... And therein is part of the problem. As Lictoga said, i've also being told they could be sensory pits. Having read up on HIH and sensory pits, they both seem plausable. One thing that does stand out about the small pin hole like white marks is that they all seem to be in cluster patterns. Its almost like if it where ring worm on a person. I'm just really not sure on HIH or sensory pits. And i'm not sure either would explain the whiteness around the eyes.

Has anyone else got any thoughts on these? I've now been told by 2 fish people that the pin holes are sensory pits. I've also been told by 2 fish people their not sensory pits. Either way, i'm still at a loss to explain the white around rhe eyes as anything other than maybe early stage pop eye. Any inspiration welcome.

Thanks Lictoga. Given the timeframe, lack of progression and overall uniformity of the spots appearance, my thinking is tending less towards HIH.

As far as pop eye goes, the lack of such symptoms has me stumped. There is no noticable bulging, cloudiness or associated issues to the eyes themselves, only the white around the eyes. The only possibly explainations i could find when hunting for info basically came down to pop eye. But apart from the white around the eyes, the symptoms don't fit. I am certainly open to other possible causes. Given it started as small discoloration before becoming complete circles, and on one fish before the other, it seems there must be some root cause.

Thanks for the offer thatsright, i may come back to you on it. I'd like to better understand what i'm trying to treat before I do though.

so the eye discolouration is on both fish, around both eyes, and has been present for some time yes. are the fish both from the same batch of fry? it may just be a genitic variation or a environmental influence.

if both fish are happy and acting normal, water test out fine no dramatic changes. i would notbe concerend about anything.

its good you pay so much attention to your fish and notice any changes, keep it up

Yes the discolouration is on both fish and around both eyes. I first noticed the white discolouration blothes on Casey maybe 5 or 6 months ago. It wasn't until maybe 2 months ago they where complete circles. Errol developed blotches later, maybe 3-4 months ago. Only recently have his marks become complete circles too.

They are actually both of different lineage. Errol became a widower some time back. His partner passed away from egg block. Errol became very sad, lonely and depressed, in that special way only an oscar really can. I set out desperately searching for a new friend, even getting someone on interstate qldaf style forums to hunt. Nothing that matched my critera. After about a months hunting, i gave in on every aspect that i'd been looking for, and found Casey. Thankfully she and Errol hit it off after my nightmares of carnage.

When i got Casey, i had a sneaking suspicion she may have been under the weather. With that in mind, plus the extra stress on her from the move and transitioning from a tank to a pond, i have been keeping an extra eye on her. Unfortunately with no room to quaranteen a 20cm+ oscar, she went straight into the drink.

Casey's arrival was unfortunately not long before my filtration issues became critical. If she had already been under the weather, that wouldn't have helped. And it was in her i first saw the white marks around the eyes. I don't know that she would've necessarily introduced something into my pond, i more tend to suspect that she may have already had a compromised immune system. Hopefully it is just an environmental issue. Whatever the underlaying cause, i don't like my critters sick!

On paper the water is now fine. Behaviour wise... Well Errol and Casey seem to be nesting before my eyes as i write this so... I guess their happy and acting nornal(?)... lol

Thanks, it does maybe take a degree of OCD keeping an eye on everyone, but i'd rather find small things before they become big things!

And thank you to everyone for your input and contributions! I still don't know what the cause is, but i'm a lot more sure what the cause isn't! And considering the options of HIH and pop eye, that is a great relief! Thanks all!

Yes the discolouration is on both fish and around both eyes. I first noticed the white discolouration blothes on Casey maybe 5 or 6 months ago. It wasn't until maybe 2 months ago they where complete circles. Errol developed blotches later, maybe 3-4 months ago. Only recently have his marks become complete circles too.

They are actually both of different lineage. Errol became a widower some time back. His partner passed away from egg block. Errol became very sad, lonely and depressed, in that special way only an oscar really can. I set out desperately searching for a new friend, even getting someone on interstate qldaf style forums to hunt. Nothing that matched my critera. After about a months hunting, i gave in on every aspect that i'd been looking for, and found Casey. Thankfully she and Errol hit it off after my nightmares of carnage.

When i got Casey, i had a sneaking suspicion she may have been under the weather. With that in mind, plus the extra stress on her from the move and transitioning from a tank to a pond, i have been keeping an extra eye on her. Unfortunately with no room to quaranteen a 20cm+ oscar, she went straight into the drink.

Casey's arrival was unfortunately not long before my filtration issues became critical. If she had already been under the weather, that wouldn't have helped. And it was in her i first saw the white marks around the eyes. I don't know that she would've necessarily introduced something into my pond, i more tend to suspect that she may have already had a compromised immune system. Hopefully it is just an environmental issue. Whatever the underlaying cause, i don't like my critters sick!

On paper the water is now fine. Behaviour wise... Well Errol and Casey seem to be nesting before my eyes as i write this so... I guess their happy and acting nornal(?)... lol

Thanks, it does maybe take a degree of OCD keeping an eye on everyone, but i'd rather find small things before they become big things!

And thank you to everyone for your input and contributions! I still don't know what the cause is, but i'm a lot more sure what the cause isn't! And considering the options of HIH and pop eye, that is a great relief! Thanks all!

What a great post.

I love your choice of words and how you tell the story.

Looking forward to reading more of your essays! bgomf.