Lyllie

Would this sump layout work?

I just wanted to see if I could get some feedback on this sump setup? I could be completely on the wrong track here. It will be to support 3 x 2-foot tanks (58 litres each) for breeding. I wasn't sure whether the Refugium and Bio Media should be swapped too. Actually I don't even know if what I want there is called a Refugium. I just want to use that space for things like growing some Anubias onto logs or sinking driftwood or growing fry.

post-16442-14711634308653_thumb.jpg

Both sides of the bit where the plants are have water passing over the top of the walls.. I think one needs to go over and one under or water will just pass over the top of that section? Does that sound right? And the tiny bio balls section won't really do anything.. Put some sponge there or something

I agree with Matt, it might be ok for the plant section water to go over the top but it can create dead spots which is the last thing you want in a sump. Instead of a filter sock I would use a drip tray with Dacron on top as it's less maintenance, rather than clean the sock the dacron is disposable and it creates a section underneath where the water can run over bio balls without them being submerged which is the best way to have them. If you want to attach anubias to wood you can super glue them so they don't move while the roots take hold. If you want to use a refrugium I would use plants that grow ultra fast so when you trim them it is exporting the nitrates out of the system, you will find with a couple of tanks of fry nitrates climb quickly.

Cheers mick

Thanks so much! I see what you mean about the Refugium area. So, if I raised the height of the divider on the left so that the water fell into it in a bit of a waterfall would that fix that issue? Thanks for the superglue tip too! Much easier than using plastic ties. And nicer looking :)

Call me old fashion....

What I (would/do) do

No sump.....

3x2ft tanks for breeding....air driven sponge filters

1x4ft tank for fry....air driven sponge filters

A. Cheaper to set up

B. Cheaper to run

C. Sponges provide first food for fry

D. Disease/death in one tank doesn't affect every tank

ps...Bio balls are designed to be open to air with water flowing over them

this maximises oxygen for bacteria

;)