mbunamad

Nitrate reducer

The link is a price list for various phosphate and nitrate removal products so if you're unsure which product to click on there is a fair bit of reading there.

To answer the question yes it can be used for freshwater but are primarily used in tanks as nitrate levels cause issues at significantly lower levels than in fresh.

Cheers mick

See Bold print in guote

Actually I think OP is prob confused and talking about the aquamedic nitrate reductor.

Not too bad but bioplastics are way to go these days imho. Aquamedic does make bioplastic carbon beads and they arent bad...... but I am loving the dupla ones now. They tumble better and dont go claggy and clump as quick when flow is stopped for a short while.

How long before this thread gets locked I wonder.

Or has carbon dosing finally come of age.

Actually I think OP is prob confused and talking about the aquamedic nitrate reductor.

Not too bad but bioplastics are way to go these days imho. Aquamedic does make bioplastic carbon beads and they arent bad...... but I am loving the dupla ones now. They tumble better and dont go claggy and clump as quick when flow is stopped for a short while.

Yes [MENTION=9246]Donny@ageofaquariums[/MENTION]ontheball I couldnt find the nitrate reducer on Aquamedics website so used reef shop.

Maybe it has, we have to be at least ten years behind the rest of the world before we consider these things to be relevant.

Start another nitraguard thread so we can find out.

Cheers mick

With semi sold carbon dosing, I was sceptical when yaking to one of the guys in south Africa way back that worked on it, nitra guard that is, then he started promoting and stupid me would ague with him, sort of, we had discussions on the product that the company he worked for, being orca was putting out there.

Personally I didn’t like the idea, I was stuck in the past,I had herd too many bad instances and tried liquid carbon dosing and it was quite unstable and not for the fiant hearted, that one was more so only based on high GI spuds.

But as usually it was a lack of common sense with many reefers that was the issue, not the idea!

Anyway doing it in the water column is to hard, it can be far to oxygen reducing, PH destabilising and more.

After looking at these bio degradable polymers that some call bio plastics, I chased up a better type with far less toxins built in and combined it with other substances of both HIGH and low GI carbs, and on my tubs, this way works surprisingly well!

On my display, not as good!

What a simple thing to DIY!

Edited by liquidg

[MENTION=9246]Donny@ageofaquariums[/MENTION]

How others spend their money is their business...my opinion is clearly stated previously

And it hasn't changed

No interest in repeating myself over and over and over....Lucky for this thread eh

Is nitrate reduction with biopellets achievable in freshwater systems or is a skimmer required?

I aint gonna bother putting effort into posts likely to just get deleted or threads about to get locked.

Needless to say I use and approve in fresh.

http://www.qldaf.com/forums/general-aquarium-discussion-19/anyone-using-nitra-guard-instead-water-changes-yet-91546/

Read that thread, lots of hear say and non scientific information, I tend to agree with you Donny not sure why people are so negative in forums and try to convince everyone there opinion without testing or scientific evidence is the right one. My mother, bless her soul always said if you have nothing good to say, then say nothing. I don't see any negative impacts of Nitragard, the results seem to prove it is not a snake oil, perhaps expensive. So is Nitragaurd or bio plastics in a reactor and in a freshwater environment the way to go? Do bio plastics produce mulm like the Nitragaurd? Rod, my question is if money is not an option, or of no concern?

When I retire I'll do some experiments to provide data to back up opinions gained in 50 years of fish keeping

Till then, you are right....its just an opinion

You believe it's good for your fish and you have the money....

Keeps someone in business...all Good!

Just responding to to your comments

If you read them as passive aggressive and flogging a dead horse...not necessary...

point taken, I'll stop posting ;)

Just to clarify my point of view....some won't read previous thread

in freshwater aquaria water changes are better and cheaper...;)

Edited by Rod