NIM7

My Vale fighting Betta

Hello folks,

I am new here and also an amateur. I recently got myself my first red vale fighting betta with metallic blue scales 3 days ago. I only have very basic knowledge about these guys, and I have a query about the situation of my betta. He is very happy swimming around my tank, taking close look at my face, at objects, plants, raffle shrimps and the other fishs. He is not aggressive to others nor the others ever bother him. Everyone gets along with each other in my tank, except for Meg, my female swordtail who everyone chases her away now and then (even the new guy, my Betta). Meg dose not fight nor been aggressive with anyone, most of the time everyone leaves her alone anyway. The only ones who had never chased her away are the raffle shrimps, they just ignore her haha; poor Meg, this is the reason why I gave her that name :-P. Anyway back to the topic, my red fighting betta is one very curious fish. If he sees small tight openings, obstacles, vegetation or a cave dugged out by my brisslenose pleco underneath a plank of driftwood, he would look at it for a while, then cautiously swim through stopping now and then seeing if he could continue.

This sounds innocent, however it is causing his fins to tear along the lines (Not ripped off though). I am wondering if it is ok for him doing this? Or would he be alright with having teared fins? If he is constantly doing this without end, it won't give his fin a chance to heal. Should I do something about this? :help:

Hi! You could remove the tight openings. If he really wants to hide or go though tunnels you should get him a betta safe one. If his fins tear even more you could get him some anti-bacterial stuff. Also, aren't swordtails fin nippers? Maybe that's what is ruining his fins. I have them and they sort of bully each other a bit. Teared fins are NOT good. One of my bettas got picked on by other fish, so we took them out. He tail STILL isn't growing back. :econf:Anyway, good luck with your betta! (I currently have two of my own.):egrin:

Edited by Cheyenne