I'm seriously thinking of chemical warfare on my marine tank to kill some cyano.

Does anyone have any tips?

I bought a new airpump and I will be running a large airstone and hooking up a venturi to the internal to make sure there is enough air.

Should I take out the n02, n03, nh3 and p04 removal pads during treatment?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Cheers mick

Hey Mick,

How are ya mate.

I battled with cyano in my tank too.

At the time I tested for nutrient levels and they wern't that bad, I did some research and implemented the advice but i was left scratching my head.

I am no expert but in the end the cyano subsided and has not reappeared since.

The only thing I changed was my light from a strip LED to Kessil LEDS.

I still wonder whether cyano is just a part of the journey with newish marine tanks, just like diatom algae and the like.

I chose not to bomb with chems.

I have a pic somewhere to show the difference between one side of my tank and the other side when I was experimenting with lighting.

All the best Mick.

I'm pretty good mate, or is that pretty and good haha.

Thanks for the advice, i have been siphoning it out with waterchanges but it comes back, I'm using petworks and green element leds at the moment but my wife got informed today of the new full spectrum Fluval that's coming out soon and I have to get one of them now.

As if marine isn't expensive enough lol

It has the controllability to ramp Kelvin's up and down so I might keep battling and experiment with that when they come out, hopefully soon.

Cheers mick

My experience was the cyano went away after a period of time and was told that this is just part of the tank maturing and can take up to two years for a tank to become stable, a mate of mine has been running a salt tank for 25 years non stop and still refuses to change from an undergravel filter. His tank never has problems and he just does a gravel clean once a year and keeps his stocking levels low, aaaah the simple times !!! Darren would remember them well ( the old fart )

This tank has been going for 13 months so I'm hoping it will disappear soon.

Unfortunately I can't help myself so I have a fairly heavy stocked tank for what it is.

I have spoken to one of them old fellas a few years ago that ran ugf and a skylight on an sps tank.

I don't think Darren is that old, maybe he has a great surgeon or I'm old as well.

Cheers mick

Mines the same, it's only two Rocks that look ugly. I would have put them in the sun but they have some nice rhodactis on them.

I might just man up and frag the rhodactis so I can sun bleach the rocks, i just feel mean whenever I think of fragging a living creature which is weird as i have no trouble culling deformed or sick fish.

Maybe I'm a little strange after all lol.

Cheers mick