gingerbeer

Hot Topic Friday 16 October 2015 - Redesigning the forum

I think we have an issue. I think we have tried to accommodate every different group and created too many sections to post in.

I think the outcome of this is that there is uncertainty as to were to post, and where to find posts. I suspect this becomes a bigger issue for our mobile users than our computer or table based users.

I think we need to consider the species specific section in particular. I think we have too many and it distracts from the general discussion section as people are not sure where to post.

I think the change that was made to the trader is in need of a merge. Again, too many sections and confusion as to where to post.

I think the clubs have been offered an opportunity with the section that is not being used, and need to merge into one club section for all, or maybe just in the announcements section.

I am not sure about the other hobbies section as it is a quiet section.

Anyway, the reason for this post is I am interested in your thoughts...... redesign the forum sections. What would you change... Would you leave it as is?

I suggest merge technical help and feedback.

If there are no competitions why have that section?

Get rid of interstate livestock section. Peeps can post in livestock and highlight there location.

Get rid of group buys not much activity there. Once again post in the relevant trader section.

Get rid of online auctions and use farcebook.

Get rid of exchange/swap.

Have one section for all clubs to use and post in. Rarely used anyway.

Livestock trader is fine the way it is coz you only need to read the section you are interested in.

My 2 bobs worth.

I suggest merge technical help and feedback.

If there are no competitions why have that section?

Get rid of interstate livestock section. Peeps can post in livestock and highlight there location.

Get rid of group buys not much activity there. Once again post in the relevant trader section.

Get rid of online auctions and use farcebook.

Get rid of exchange/swap.

Have one section for all clubs to use and post in. Rarely used anyway.

Livestock trader is fine the way it is coz you only need to read the section you are interested in.

My 2 bobs worth.

agree with all but the competitions one as i know there is talk about doing a few soon,

but think we could merge a couple of the trader sections,

The trader sections were divided when the forum was alot busier and an add could end up 3-4 pages down in a day. I don't think this is an issue anymore so a couple could be merged. Leave cichlids and catfish but merge the rest. Other than that I would agree with the maddwarfafricansicklidmanthat doesntkeepdwarfafricansicklids.

Cheers mick

Yeah it needs cleaning IMO, I hate seeing a gazillion sub forums you never know where to post or read.

Just a couple of ideas off the cuff, obviously whatever is decided your going to annoy someone.

Other Hobbies and Off Topic, are they not one and the same?

Dispute Resolution and Member Appreciation should go together yin/yang.

One forum for clubs and societies.

Livestock Trader should have Cichlid, Catfish, Other (Going off post counts alone). And interstate trades should be included.

Swap/Group/Auction should be merged.

Technical and Feedback should be merged.

Food for thought/throwing.

Personally it doesn't worry me

I see the forum as a database....I rarely look at any particular section

I just look at New posts each time I log on and just pick which posts That maybe of interest

any search is generally of the whole forum

Personally it doesn't worry me

I see the forum as a database....I rarely look at any particular section

I just look at New posts each time I log on and just pick which posts That maybe of interest

any search is generally of the whole forum

I think a lot of people readding just use the new post and read. the issue is with people wanting to start a new thread, and not making it easy to know where to post.

I have my view based on the above and other data, but always interested in members thoughts......

You're not going to be able to please everyone, if it was me I'd get together with the mods and section advisers and try to work out things that would make it easier and more pleasurable for members to navigate the site, you never know it might mean more members and more interaction.

I think anyone posting ads or wtb in general discussion should be banned or publicly flogged

I see no problem with the forum as it is, as I find if I'm not interested I scroll past. i believe the headings are clear enough to enable people to work out where to post or close enough to. I haven't seen to many threads moved to a different area by mods so it can't be to big an issue.

I do not and have not used mobile I only use it on The browser or whatever it's called so have no idea how that looks and could be bettered