grubby

Rhads or lack of seem to equal loads of Fire Tail gudgeons

I just came back from an apparently sure fire Rhad location. A mate caught heaps on Tuesday in this spot and reckoned there were plenty more to be had. I caught nothing except Firetail gudgeons. One thing I have noticed loads of Fire tails seems to me a lack of anything else, crimsons, Blue eyes or Rhads for instance. I have encountered this many times in the past. This creek was absolutely pristine, there weren't even any fearless in there if it wasn't for the Fire Tails I would be tempted to conclude that it was a dead stream. Last week I found the most amazing red finned Pacific Blue eyes in the skankiest waterway going, this week virtually nothing. Any ideas ? And no, my mate did not clean out the creek of Rhads on Tuesday.

So many variables at play here.. Time of day; water temp; shade position on water; fish appetite; fish stress etc etc etc. Firetails in still to very slow flowing water are normally the dominant species. This is not the case in water that has good movement to it. 'Red finned' P. signifer will nearly always eventually revert to a more type typical colour when kept in aquarium conditions. The species always shows the best colour and finnage in water with poor visability.