benni

electric yellow fry colours?

hey guys have bred about 10 mouthfuls of yellows now and they seem to vary alot in colour when they are about 4 weeks old onwards my 1st batch were bright from day 1 and are magnificent now @4cm but my others who are around 1 cm have very little colour at all..

when do most peoples elec yellows colour up and do some of my dull ones have a hope of coming out bright?

all are from the one colony with about 5 different bloodlines through out.

Hi Benni,

Sounds like you have a mix of bloodlines and quality, with some undesirable traits coming through in some of the fry. This is not uncommon when you set up a colony with a mix of bloodlines, as you don't know the history of the fish. I found the same thing a couple of years ago when I set out to source quite a few different bloodlines, and I am still working at breeding out some of the lesser qualities, although the overall quality of my strain is pretty good now after a few generations. You may need to line breed them by selecting the very best of the fry for a new "next generation" colony, then selecting the very best of their fry again, and so on.

Cheers, Doug

yeah although every fish in the colony is pretty much a1 in quality

i mainly fed them of sera flora (vege flakes) but also a bit of brine and cant remember wheather i changed it alot of not i think i fed more brine to the dull ones? think that might have done it?

yeah all my adults are all really good quality and i get a couple of faded looking babies sometimes and a couple with black marks.. but out of 100 i only got about 15-20 bad ones.. but yeah they make good feeders for my fronnys so i dont mind :lol:

thanx for all the replies

will maybe try to isolated the females with bad babies and see if that slowly helps. out of the 16 magnificent ones i have at 5cm ill make a whole new colony hoping to try and sort out all the girls then someone can source me someone nice males to mix with..

thanx again everyone