lgw

New project - 2x1x0.7m pond liner with viewing window build.

I need to hunt down a nice piece of driftwood.

Everyone is doing alright, but I think they would appreciate somewhere to hide when the toga gets cranky!

Picked up some wood the other day.

The snooks seem to be a lot more active with a place to retreat to. However, the salmontail cats still haven't come out of hiding (in one of the top corners).

They're eating and look well, but I'm sure hanging in a corner isn't much of a life. I'll give them a couple of weeks before I decide what to do with them.

I'll hopefully whip out the good camera soon and share some pics.

Was just reading through the thread. I realised that I didn't mention that I used liquid nails to attach the glass to the 90x35mm pine. It's not fish friendly, but it's only on the outside that touches the timber :)

Took a quick video after todays water change.

Please excuse the filthy glass, I really need to invest in a magnet cleaner thingy.

The cats still aren't game enough to move lol..

All is going well, it's actually quite a peaceful community. I never thought I'd say that, considering how the toga was with my previous oscars.

Speaking of oscars...

I miss my last lot, so I got another couple :)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]70098[/ATTACH]

post-6895-14711634693679_thumb.jpg

Edited by lgw

Nice photo, gives a bit more size perspective.

Cheers mate.

It's deceiving in the photos, especially with the viewing window being only 4.5ft. The lei looks so much bigger when you're standing right next to it!

Ah man that's a sick tank. Cudos on the build, hopefully she stands the test of time.

That Lei is a fantastic centerpiece, good to see he is calm with his mates, for now...

A little update video.

I have been doing 2x 30% water changes a week, which keeps the nitrates around 5-10ppm. Temperature peaked at about 27.5'c during some of the hotter days, it will be interesting to see how it goes over winter.

I like the rgb light (only a 60cm fixture) im currently using, however it seems to only emphasise the reds and wash out other colours. An additional white/blue led will probably be added in the future, which will help with brightness for video/picture quality too.

On to the toga...

He went on a bit of a rampage recently, chasing and attacking his tank mates. It has calmed now and all seems to be fine again. Not sure whether its wanting to breed, extra hungry with the hotter weather or just being a typical toga :rofl:

[MENTION=12165]Hoffer_20[/MENTION]

I cant send pictures via pm so I'll do what i can here...

I'll do my best to list all materials used for the build and try to explain the glass and sealing process.

- 4 sheets of 16mm MDF.

- 90x35mm structural pine for the frame and stand (unsure how many lengths i used).

- 2 tubes of Gold label pond and aquarium sealer.

- 1 tube of selleys liquid nails - mirror, metal, glass.

- 1 tube of selleys no more gaps.

- 8-10x57mm chipboard screws.

I also used a shorter screw for some of the joins, however i forget the length sorry.

- 4x3m of 0.5mm pvc pond liner.

- 70x35mm non structural pine (this just holds the liner in place at the top of the tank, as shown in the pic below).

post-6895-14711634895872_thumb.jpg

- Acetone.

I may have missed a couple of things, ill add them to the list as i remember them lol.

Onto the viewing window...

I cut the opening in the MDF for the glass to sit inside of, making sure i had 5-10mm extra around the perimeter of the glass. The 5-10mm is for the liner to go through, aswell as a bead of the gold label sealant (hope that makes sense).

You can see the 90x35mm frame surrounding the window is 2 pieces of timber thick.

post-6895-14711634896041_thumb.jpg

The inner pieces were put on first, which allowed me to pull the liner through the gaps on the outside...

Once the liner was pulled through, the extra timbers were added to secure the liner in place (aswell as add extra support to the front of the tank).

After completing the above, the tank was flipped onto its front (viewing window down).

post-6895-14711634896227_thumb.jpg

Before i put the glass into place, i applied liquid nails to the 90x35mm frame which you can see on the inside of the window opening. I did this in hopes to hold the glass into pace. Which in turn, will put less stress on the sealant and also the liner.

post-6895-14711634896596_thumb.jpg

I then had a 5-10mm gap around the glass to fill with gold label sealant. I applied this generously and made sure to fill the gap completely until (atleast) flush with the glass.

post-6895-14711634896418_thumb.jpg

I left the tank face down for a week or so to ensure the liquid nails and gold label sealant had time to cure.

I hope i didnt just confuse the crap out of you, its much easier to describe in person haha.

Edited by lgw

Thanks for the bit of extra clarification. I think I got it all in my head now. Can I ask why you chose pond liner vs a pond sealer or fibreglass option?

Cheaper, easier, quicker and IMO less likely to have a weak spot (leak).

Pond liner can handle the movement that a wooden tank will give. Even half draining the tank will make everything flex. You can also add sheets of polystyrene under the liner for better insulation and to soften the impact big fish can create when they run into the sides. Sometimes a bigger tank let's a fish gain a lot of momentum. Enough to hole or crack things. Black liner can be very hard to catch fish out of though. Some light coloured substrate helps.

Absolutely loved this build, I'm building two similar sized indoor ponds in my garage pretty much exactly the same way as you - so I've learnt allot and had many of my questions answered in terms of fixing a viewing window to pond liner.

I'm building my box out of structural ply, it will be 8ft long X 4ft wide X 3ft high, do you think it could support a 6ft viewing window if I use polycarbonate?

I also wanted to have a 4x4x2ft cube (upside down, so fish can swim up inside of it) on one half of the pond. Do you think the window could handle the pressure of all that extra water volume and weight?

Sorry for all the questions, just thought you'd probably be one of the best to advise me being such a similar project to yours.

Cheers, nick.