Ngen

Muddy waters

Hey Guys

Have been setting up my old 4ft tank and was trying for a natural look.

I used river sand from the LFS and as i wanted to grow some plants I added API first layer laterite.

Although all was washed I still ended up with a Muddy tank which no amount of filtering has improved.

Any Suggestions or do I just strip it and start again

post-16855-14711634512824_thumb.jpg

Use a 20 L bucket to make a temporary mechanical filter. Place a 1000 LPH powerhead (approx) with a 30 cm hose on output, at bottom of bucket and half fill with 5mm, 6mm or 8mm gravel. Put whole bucket into your tank, turn on and wait 24 -48 hours. The fine suspended sediment will end up in your bucket. Just be careful removing it as it will be heavy when full of water. The trick is not to use fine mechanical filtration as this will quickly clog.

I followed the instructions and mixed it in the bottom layer and the topped it with more gravel on top

the tank wasn't stirred at all when filling as i used a hose on a soak setting and filled it slowly.

Easy life ????? Macropore ????

Macropore will polish the water but will not solve the water with suspended solids. Imo it is really fine and passing through the filtration remaining in the water column. I'm on the same track as jase86uub fine filter wool or poly pad if you want it done quicker.

Did A 99% water change last night and followed the suggestion of using a bag over the hose end.

post-16855-14711634515167_thumb.jpg

Have taken the Purigen out of the filter to clean it as it was just mud.

At least I can see the back of the tank now LOL

post-16855-14711634514922_thumb.jpg