jonnoob

Demasoni setup

Hi all, I have a new system I've been quietly setting up in the basement (soon to be a display upstairs) should be ready to cycle by sunday next week. Its a 4x18x18 with 2.5 ft sump running 2000lph over noodles and k1 micro. Also have a 1800lph canister spare so may put that on too. Scape will be white sand with (probably) lava rock (i want plenty of front facing caves) and a black painted background, so im hoping it turns out looking fantastic. (Ill get a thread up in DIY soon)

Im hoping to have a Demasoni colony of 8-10(maybe more?) and maybe a few e.yellows.

any tips on stocking levels?

best food for vibrant colours?

Or where to get the whitest possible sand without spending a fortune? (My Bunnings has nothing but moderately brown play sand or zeolite pool filter -largest granules of sand ive ever seen)

Perhaps you are or know of a demasoni breeder?

Do you have demasoni? show me your setup/fish and share your knowledge =D

Edited by jonnoob

My demasoni destroyed my yellows...despite they fact they're meant to be okay together. Just be mindful. In terms of food for best colours, I used the Hikari gold as the staple, and then use something like this as a base recipe for home recipes: http://africancichlidbreeders.blogspot.com.au/2013/04/diy-african-cichlids-fish-food-recipe.html though I did have a little more meat than that. It produced beautiful colours. Really once you've made a large batch and frozen it, it lasts for quite a while.

I kept cichilds for years, but don't have my setup anymore to show you - I did have a huge range of hidy holes in my 5x2x2 setup in the form of resin reefs. The more hidey holes the better with demasoni. Very sneaky little *******s. Adorable, beautiful, violent fish.

Some people keep demasoni and yellows together as there is less chance of crossbreeding because they look so different but demasoni are angry, nasty fish so be careful.

As for stocking you could get away with 20 adult fish no worries, lava rock or texas holey rock would work well in an African scape.

Enjoy the journey.

Cheers mick

Cheers mick

That bunnings sand when clean is white. Although it says "triple washed" it is full of protein which makes it brown in the bag. Once it is flushed for a few hours it ends up white - I'll upload a pic when I get a chance. I raise juvenile yellows and Demasoni together but would not keep the adult colonies together.

Figured ill just suck it up and get the eco complete white sand, Ill grab a 9kg from AoA when I get down that way later this week. If thats not enough for me ill give the play sand a wash and see how well the colours match. Everything is done and i have the setup cycling downstairs now(first fill today no leaks so why the hell not!?), once i have the substrate sorted ill take it all apart, set it up again and start stalking the traders. In the case of yellows ill just hold off on that and go with the "demon"asi. Hopefully i can find a bunch of 20 or so around the same size. Didnt bother putting the canister on this as i was just too impressed with my sump, so I have another stripped 4ft project which depending on how things go will either be a maternity tank or some sort of livebearer breeding tank. Id like to try an overhead refugium and have the tank outdoors so no idea what to stock yet.