litigator666

DIY Purigen Reactor Design Flaw

I wanted to build my own reactor based on scrap parts I have and this is what I have at this stage.

1. Acrylic Tubes from Mr Plastic (www.mrplastics.net.au/) sealed on the bottom (he made me a cylinder case)and fitted with the gutter cap on top

2. Some rain gutter endcaps I got from bunnings. I purchased an entire box in case I make a mistake.

3. Inlet and output connection from irri shop in Slacks creek

As you can see on the pics, it holds the purigen well but it seems that only one third of the purigen is cycling/bubbling and the rest stays on top. I only installed it today as I have a few leaks issues with my old design. Its powered by an eheim powerline 2252 internal filter.

I need some thoughts on how to make all the purigen moving.

post-916-14711634528952_thumb.jpg

post-916-14711634529149_thumb.jpg

post-916-14711634529286_thumb.jpg

post-916-14711634529488_thumb.jpg

post-916-14711634529711_thumb.jpg

Edited by litigator666

I wanted a 4th tower in the tank - sponge filters, K1s, marine pure spheres. I'll be hiding it at the back with the bonsai tree as cover. It's still on testing phase before I finalise where it should go. Also have this bamboo decor that I bought but not sure where I'll be using it.

post-916-14711634529906_thumb.jpg

post-916-14711634530109_thumb.jpg

Edited by litigator666

Hi Edwin,

When the purigen gets fully water logged it may sink some more and you will probably be okay with a slower water flow but your not getting laminar flow with your flat bottom and/or the tower isn't tall enough

I use something similar with a spherical bottom and stormwater fittings. Also use a conical chambers (upside down witch hat) as widening the diameter will drop water velocity with same flow rate.

You will get just as good a result with static purigen and the fluidisation will wear out the granules much faster

Edited by aquaholic99

the tube is 2ft tall and 150mm wide (if I remember correctly). I was just using items I can see on the acrylic company's i visited. I just get the scrap ones so they are cheaper. might be hard to adapt the cone bottom on this circumference.

I have the smaller version of the pump - 2048 in case it needs a lesser lph. I'll observe it in a few weeks and see if the 2252 is too much for it. The bottom seems to be turning over well but the floaters just stays trapped on top.

Its new, just got 3ltrs to play with. I also have a few litres of macropore on bags inside the cannister filters. I should have just bought the macropore as they are basically the same. I paid more for the brand. Lesson learned.

No, no, no. You bought the better product. I was running purigen and macropore side by side for around 3 months. I think the purigen was much better. It always appeared much darker after a few weeks, which I assume means it was absorbing more tannins.

Just my 2 cents.

It isn't a good idea to fluidise purigen IMO as it adsorbes not absorbes. Specifically it captures by binding to outside surface just like carbon. More chemical filtration like than mechanical. So tumbling it would help dislodge captured waste as well as wearing it down physically. I'd recommend a static slow flow through such as a bucket sized air lift. You can use the same setup to recharge it as well.

I just felt like it was a dump on what I'd posted. There's nothing wrong with the way litigator666 is going about it, nor with theforgotens' way either, nor with my way. I was only interested in what other guys were doing, and just added my way of doing it...

Anyway, I'm sure aquaholic with have a swipe back. I'll just chill in the meantime...Nana man.

And Jase86uxb, I'd actually rather you have a word to my bass, see if you can convince them to breed?

Aquaholic gave his opinion on how he uses it just like others gave there opinion but his comment is the only one that offended people somehow.

No wonder alot of the most knowledgeable people in the hobby don't get on the forum or give advice anymore.

If it was more effective in a reactor why would it be sold in a bag or with a bag, I'm sure companies like seachem would do alot of testing to find the best way to use their products and if it was more effective in a reactor it would be marketed as such

Cheers mick

I agree with @aquaholic99's logic that the tumbling of the resin beads has potential to be counter productive. That said I'm loving those otto chambers @Lofties as an extra place to put macropore (even in bags) when canister space is limited or also for use as CO2 reactors for planted tanks. The transparent sides would be perfect for seeing whats going on (something I can't do with DIY stormwater pipe). I put macropore in stockings inside my canisters but it takes up too much space and slows the outflow once it gets full of muck. The bold on chambers would be perfect. I have been looking at butchering one of these Ozito Pre-Filters specifically for macropore but perhaps a bit too small: http://www.bunnings.com.au/ozito-pre-filter-kit_p4817621

Edited by Grubs

I have been looking at butchering one of these Ozito Pre-Filters specifically for macropore but perhaps a bit too small: http://www.bunnings.com.au/ozito-pre-filter-kit_p4817621

I have been considering this specific Ozito for many months, mainly inspired by some YouTube videos I have seen but I am concern the beads would get 'stuck' on the micron mesh and restrict flow.

During this time I have tried macropore in stockings, in media bags, in canisters, in sump baffles, etc. but finds that flow through it is uneven and usually only the outer beads get dark and I have to turn them over fairly often. I then tried using a TLF phosphate reactor but I have to turn down the flow a lot else it was easy to create a macropore 'snow storm' in the sump if I wasn't careful.

I then considered the Otto one but the design seem similar to the TLF phosphate reactor so it did not inspire too much confidence. Eventually I decided to buy the FR-30 from the Tech Den. http://www.thetechden.com.au/Multi_Media_Fluidized_Reactor_FR_30_p/fr-30.htm

This is really really really good. I am super impress. I could turn up the flow and not have beads spilling out from it due to its unique nozzle design in the chamber. Beads are churning well. I am not sure about beads wearing out but they are cheap enough to replace anyway.

Sorry for the long story. If anyone would like to see it in action, PM me your mobile and I can send you a video. I am running macropore gold in this for a breeding rack.

@litigator666 Edwin when you are done playing DIY and have had your fun, and if you decide a ready made solution is what you want, you can come over my place and see this in action if you like.

Edited by jc12

there was a section on the seachem discussions on the use of reactor (magnavore simplicity reactor) - http://www.seachem.com/support/forums/archive/index.php/t-7145.html. It was small for what I wanted but concept is the same with fluidised filters. It was too expensive to order/import it in as well and no shops in Aus have them. as to the tumbling effect, most feedback ive read were good - turnover is needed for the the beads to be more effective. Seachem may not want to publicize (endorsing these reactors) it as they don't have a product that does that.

[MENTION=12699]Grubs[/MENTION] The ozito was small as well and may restrict waterflow. I was wanting to play with it but I can't find a clear cartridge container (looking for the 20+ inches ones). I ended up with the mr plastic who fabricated me the cylinder container. He was doing some acrylic skimmers and sumps so he have a slight idea on what ive wanted done.

[MENTION=14086]Lofties[/MENTION] i was considering this otto fluid bed but i will need a couple of them running in series. Since they will be inside my tank, it would occupy some space, hence I decided for a wider tall tube to base this project on.

[MENTION=13541]jc12[/MENTION] i'll call you the next time im on your area and I want to see how your reactor runs.

Update as at today on mine: still 2/3 of the purigen are trapped on top but the bottom is still tumbling. I think it's good for now. just waiting for the 2/3 to age/mature and start tumbling. tank is noticeably more crystal clear, though i have bags of macropores on the cannisters for a few months now.

I also purchased my Otto gear from the Tech Den and would like to add more, that's why I was keen to see what litigator666 was up to. I've purchased 4 units from TD plus I came across another one on gumtree. The two units in the sump pic are for the 8ft tank. It was terribly dark with tannins from the tree root, and after 2-3 days it was crystal clear. I'm not sure what aquaholic means by adsorbes as opposed to absorbes, but he's right in saying it requires a slow flow. Mine only trickles through and there's not a lot of tumbling that occurs, but boy does it do the job. I also wondered how litigator666 contolled the flow, hence I posted the pics specifically with the taps in view.