I want use Fluke and Tap worm tablets (contains 1000mg Praziquantel) from Blue Planet as a preventative cure for Discus. Dosage required 1 tablet/20litres. I was told Discus need regularly worming every 4 months. My fish tank contains 4 Discus, 7 Rosy tetras, 2 hoplo, 1 Bristlenose, 1 Royal Whiptail, 1 striped headstander (astronomus astronomus) and 4 Pakistan loaches. I have a live plant giant cardamine and my tank is overrun with Malaysian trumpet snails. My tank is 5.7 feet length, 50cm wide and 2 feet deep. My question is what fish or plants are sensitive to the medication and do I have to half dose? Will all the Malaysian trumpet snails all die and causes a big ammonia spike?

Hi [MENTION=15821]aquatic lover[/MENTION],

Regular worming of discus certainly can't hurt, a lot of people use a product called kusuri wormer plus (they recommend monthly treatment as a preventative). While most meds can negatively affect snails, I think you will find quite a few of your mts living to fight another day (they are like water roaches).

cheers,

Dan

edit : just so you know, there is a use with caution warning on Blue Planet Fluke and Tape Worm in conjunction with Catfish.

Edited by danfishy84

I would of said every 6 mths. Its a Chem ur adding esp if there's no need/sign that you have to...

If you add fish into the discus tank, you should have a quarantine tank...! It also has less water volume so its cheaper to treat.

Next, those loaches can be touchy to t'ment AND they can become a mofo pain in the bum if one decides to suck on the slime coat of the discus.

The snails... who cares if they die, try and remove as many as possible anyway.

The headstander can be a bit to active for the discus and maybe a little sensitive to some treatments and so can the hoplos.

The bristlenose will be a problem with the treatment, so if you remove it when you treat the tank, it makes the treatment pointless.

In that size tank you can easily get up to 10 adult size discus ( deep on filtration of course)

For the kusuri wormer get in touch with the guy on the Goldy that sells it ( and discus too ) he's a nice guy..

Good luck and have fun :)

Edited by thatsright99

I would of said every 6 mths. Its a Chem ur adding esp if there's no need/sign that you have to...

I would tend to agree, monthly worming fish without problems seems silly and I always worm my fish during my quarantine procedure. However monthly treating with this product is what Living Reef and Sydney Discus do or recommend.