GotCrabs

Sponge Filter & Air Pump Info Please

Hi, could anyone help me out in suggesting a air ran sponge filter and air pump please, have ordered a mid range priced canister to play with but am also interested in perhaps using an air sponge set up instead of the canister for a 45l tank which will eventually house a smallish group of Spotted Blue Eyes, Peacock Gudgeons and Glass Shrimp, planted lightly with Vallisneria nana, Lilaeopsis brisbanica, Native Penny Wort in natural aquarium gravel, thanks.

In my experience, sponge filters will not take large particles out of the water like fancier kit (they tend to settle on the bottom for you to siphon) but they do a wonderful job keeping the water column clean biologically and mechanically. My preference is to aim for a flow rate of 3-4x others will go as little as 1-2x.

So if you went with 3-4 you would need an air pump that does roughly 135-180lph, don't worry about going a little over or under. There are plenty of options available if you take a look at our sponsors websites with these specs in mind.

As for the sponge filters, it usually mentions that it suits tanks up to a certain sizing in litres.

Edited by danfishy84

Hi, could anyone help me out in suggesting a air ran sponge filter and air pump please, have ordered a mid range priced canister to play with but am also interested in perhaps using an air sponge set up instead of the canister for a 45l tank which will eventually house a smallish group of Spotted Blue Eyes, Peacock Gudgeons and Glass Shrimp, planted lightly with Vallisneria nana, Lilaeopsis brisbanica, Native Penny Wort in natural aquarium gravel, thanks.

Did you end up going with this set up?

yep im thinking of going the ada too was just trying to keep cost down

Just finished the little 15l tank, took about 3 or 4 hours, ADA Amazonia, Micranthemum 'Monte Carlo', Seiryu Stone, Dry Start Method, currently sitting under a Ista White LED, hopefully it all turns out well.