rainbowrunner

back from Tassie

Went to Tasmania for a couple of weeks did the drive, stayed some real nice places

but whats that got to do with aquariums?

Ive managed to go puddle jumping a few times as cold as it was while doing day hikes and short walks and have a heap of footage to go through - fish and native animals and will post them soon as I can

SEE AUSTRALIAN & PNG NATIVES SECTION FOR VIDEOS more to come

heres a couple of pics of the fish and some habitat

These would make great aquarium specimens.

Untitled%201_zpstbpax8nk.jpg

Untitledtf_zpsrdvua2ps.jpg

Untitledsdfasd_zpsqep6gsl3.jpg

Untitledtggg_zpsr2v7c7rd.jpg

IMG_2560_zps9i5o9qef.jpg

IMG_2374_zpstibkccqs.jpg

IMG_2336_zpskidtvwix.jpg

IMG_2213_zps7yuhnizy.jpg

Edited by rainbowrunner

galaxias of some sort I think, I havent been able to identify which ones yet, anyone care to?

Hi,

I recognised them as Tasmanian Galaxias, but I've had to dig out

"Australian Freshwater Fishes: Biology and Management"

by John R. Merrick and Gunther E. Schmida

for any further info !

The galaxias are known to have restricted ranges in Tassie - limited to certain rivers / watersheds.

My best guess from the pictures in the book would be

1) Pedder Galaxias (Galaxias pedderensis)

"Its range appears restricted to Lake Pedder and and associated feeder streams such as the upper Serpentine and Wedge rivers."

Was that the right area for your photo?

2),3),4) Spotted Mountain Trout, aka Trout Minnow (Galaxias truttaceous)

"Landlocked populations are known in inland Tasmania but most other populations are at low altitudes and relatively close to the sea. G. truttaceous is abundant in many areas of its range in Tasmania. It occurs most frequently in still or slow flowing areas among cover near banks or on the bottom."

The book goes on to say (circa 1984): "It is an attractive display animal and easily maintained in captivity, providing the temperature doesn't rise above 20degC. In the resting position in tanks, this species holds the head well above the bottom, the tail is straight and the pectorals are constantly moving."

Well done for getting pictures!

My best guess from the pictures in the book would be

1) Pedder Galaxias (Galaxias pedderensis)

"Its range appears restricted to Lake Pedder and and associated feeder streams such as the upper Serpentine and Wedge rivers."

Was that the right area for your photo?

the top pic is a creek at cradle mountain, the other 3 are from a creek in Strahan on the west side

when Im finished editing Ill have names of locations all sorted with more pics as well

Edited by rainbowrunner