pk333

Rain water and how to treat it

Hi guys, just after some thoughts and information.

Would it be safe to treat rain water from a rain water tank with swimming pool chlorine, or another product you can think of, and then treat with Superchlor (or another dechlorinator).

Just wondering what would be safe to teat it for any possible pathogens in the water.

For the last 35 years never used anything but rainwater, there's no town water where I am.

Never ever treated tank water in any way, shudder to think what poisons you have in mind LOL!

Sorry, not really the advise you're after.....

Edited by bluebelle

The risk I consider with tank water are pollutants and heavy metals rather than pathogens. Hence I would not. I would if I was really concerned still put through an RO filter system.

Personally I am not concerned and use straight from my rain water tank.

I was reading about some parasites in tank water the other day and it mentioned treating with chlorine tablets to kill them and it was still safe levels to drink from.

I'm not sure where you would find them but I would try rural supply stores, camping stores or eBay.

You could then treat with supachlor to remove the chlorine and any ammonia left from dying parasites.

Cheers mick

Been using water from my tank and i live about 15 min from the city. I have not had any issues so far.

Never treat it at all just goes straight into my tank.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Use a uv sterilizer

Add bicarb soda because the water will be acidic

Add epsom salts because the water has no trace elements and magnesium is a nice one to have

Do not use a chemical and then remove it 😊

Use a uv sterilizer

Add bicarb soda because the water will be acidic

Add epsom salts because the water has no trace elements and magnesium is a nice one to have

Do not use a chemical and then remove it 😊

Hey [MENTION=2856]tuffy_rana[/MENTION], yeah I have been thinking UV as the best way to go. As I am keeping discus, acidic is not a problem. I don't use 100% rain water, usually 50/50 rain water to tap water. If anything, I would add one of the discus trace element products.

Thanks for everyones input.

Treating rainwater is a tricky due to the sheer volume. In general I find it more useful to focus on improving it, rather than treating it. The initial quality of the rainwater is not just decided by your location but also the condition of the roof.

A product that is effective at re-mineralising rainwater on a large scale is the Kusuri montmorillonite clay. This is sold dry, and at a dose rate of 25g per 2000 Litres is an economical way to improve rainwater for aquarium fish.

I pump rain water (and tap water) from a rain water tank in to an IBC through a two stage filter, a micron particle cartridge and carbon cartridge.

My concern is not remineralising rain water, but rather what chemical pollutants may be in it, and what bacterial or pathogens may be in it.

Edited by pk333

Treating rainwater is a tricky due to the sheer volume. In general I find it more useful to focus on improving it, rather than treating it. The initial quality of the rainwater is not just decided by your location but also the condition of the roof.

A product that is effective at re-mineralising rainwater on a large scale is the Kusuri montmorillonite clay. This is sold dry, and at a dose rate of 25g per 2000 Litres is an economical way to improve rainwater for aquarium fish.

I have not decided how I am going, but think it is important that you add something back to the water. I have not decided what I will be doing in my apisto tanks, but something like this is interesting.

I have not decided how I am going, but think it is important that you add something back to the water. I have not decided what I will be doing in my apisto tanks, but something like this is interesting.

If you are looking for an interesting mineral, its hard to beat the montmorillonite clays.

Relevant and semi interesting ~ Montmorillonite is effective as an adsorptive of heavy metals.

Irrelevant and very interesting ~ Montmorillonite is also known to cause micelles (lipid spheres) to assemble together into vesicles. These structures resemble cell membranes on many cells. It can also help nucleotides to assemble into RNA which will end up inside the vesicles. This could have generated highly complex RNA polymers that could reproduce the RNA trapped within the vesicles. This process may have led to the origin of life on Earth. Minerals similar to montmorillonites have been found on Mars, too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montmorillonite

I pump rain water (and tap water) from a rain water tank in to an IBC through a two stage filter, a micron particle cartridge and carbon cartridge.

My concern is not remineralising rain water, but rather what chemical pollutants may be in it, and what bacterial or pathogens may be in it.

http://www.aquaoneaust.com.au/Office-or-Factory/water-tank-filter-systems.html ?

Are you Guys stocking the clay?

I use the same set up in my 1300 ltr discus tank. Pump it into IBC, through a charcoal filter purchased at Bunning ($37 housing & $17 filter) add tap water to get right PH etc & add in discus trace elements. You could use a fine micron filter to pull smaller levels of crap: Pathogens unknown? You could sterilize your water before using it. Read the following to calculate the size UV required - pathogens require the water to move slowly through the UV sterilizer. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?articleid=435

Haven't had a problem to date, however I had my tiled roof cleaned & repainted about 2 years ago, in some special reflective stuff, it is very clean. The amount of crap on the roof may make a difference: bird poo etc. I always run the pump into the garden for a few minutes before putting it into my IBC, as the pump outlet is on the bottom.

on tank water as well and also use the bi carb and epsom salt very little needed for a 4ft tank. water is run through a pump/filter before coming out the tap....ever so slightly off 7.0 ph with 0 chlorine and 0 ammonia..... fish are happy :)