ORANGEMELLY

Can female mbuna hold one another's eggs?

Hey everyone

Just a quick question....

I managed to capture two of my acei tanzania breeding... I saw the female acei pick up at least 20 eggs... this was just over a week ago...however she no longer looks as though she is holding...however...my female yellow lab has a mouth that is stuffed full of eggs - the fullest I have ever seen it...I did not observe her breeding and until 2 days ago she did not seem to be holding and now her face is really full....could she be holding the eggs from the acei?...

I ask because in the yellows last batch there were 2 yellow and two acei tanzania babies (one got eaten) but the surviving one looks all tanzanian - does not look at all like a hybrid...is black with the typical yellow marking on tip of tail that acei have..this is my yellow lab's third batch of fry since I have had her and she is a good mother (she actually hides her babies and guards them)...has anyone ever heard of mbuna stealing or holding another females eggs?...could she have scooped up any eggs that were missed or spat out?

Thanx.

I agree, yes its quite possible for another mouth brooder to pick up another's eggs if she is attempting to breed/breeding etc.

the only personal notes I have to add is I once purchased a breeding eureka red trio from a breeder on here eons ago, the "male", I presume was hormone feed and showed some adult male coloration(now I wonder why he didn't have a light on that tank), anyway moral of story is they spawned with the male doing the male job and the female job but they both layed eggs, and yes that female had a huge mouthful from two females eggs, and yes they were infertile. the only thing similar I remember is one of my smaller flamebacks having such a large spawn that her gills popped out the side, being on top of things I should of stripped it but it died from trying to hold that spawn.

but to end my story I've had malawis pick up rocks and corn kernals after they already have spawned, so its entirely possible one mbuna picked up another's eggs.

orangemelly can you please keep us updated as in sure the fry will soon reveal what they are.

cheers

mick

I agree, yes its quite possible for another mouth brooder to pick up another's eggs if she is attempting to breed/breeding etc.

the only personal notes I have to add is I once purchased a breeding eureka red trio from a breeder on here eons ago, the "male", I presume was hormone feed and showed some adult male coloration(now I wonder why he didn't have a light on that tank), anyway moral of story is they spawned with the male doing the male job and the female job but they both layed eggs, and yes that female had a huge mouthful from two females eggs, and yes they were infertile. the only thing similar I remember is one of my smaller flamebacks having such a large spawn that her gills popped out the side, being on top of things I should of stripped it but it died from trying to hold that spawn.

but to end my story I've had malawis pick up rocks and corn kernals after they already have spawned, so its entirely possible one mbuna picked up another's eggs.

orangemelly can you please keep us updated as in sure the fry will soon reveal what they are.

cheers

mick

I will keep you all up to date...it is just really odd...and like I said earlier in her last brood were 2 that looked just like 100% acei tanzania....and the surviving one of the two still looks like a tanzania and is growing faster than the other two surviving fry who were both yellow...they most likely are hybrids but I dont sell any of my fish anyway...(if they were discus would be a diiferent story..)..for me it was exciting to see how these little guys would go as they were the first ones that were bred in my tank ...all my fry will be spat into tank...if they survive ..they survive if not ...oh well...

yer I think time will tell, as for hybrid looks, perhaps expect the unexpected, ive had from a display tank, ob yellow zeb female cross with an unknown blue/black stiped zeb type male and red zeb male, most could pass for red zebs, a few had stripes, but still yellowish and a few yellow ob like the mum.

no need to kill em just yet, just be very critical of the fry.

Edited by QldMick