Fishbitz

1st planted tank

Hi I set up a planted aquarium about two weeks ago and I'm not sure wats goin on there's like white spider webs all ovrer different plants wat is it ? And some of the tips on the plants are going brown does that mean they need more light I really don't know wats going on!

if you can post some pics and more details on the set up it will help speed things up.

what light are you using?

are you using co2?

what soil are you using?

are you dosing ferts or "liquid co2" products like florish or exel?

have you tested the water if so whats the reading nitrate, nitrite, ammonia?

Hey I'm not sure how to put up picks but my tank specs are

Two foot tank with iron sand as my substrate plants consist of anubius mosses corkscrew val some small red leaf plants I can't remember and a few others also hm and hc I'm not sure on water perameters have not checked them for a couple of days where should they be at for a healthy tank? I've used dinosaur dung in the substrate and using a product called flora viv grow that's the only products I've used no co2 yet and as for lighting I'm using a marine light for growing corals not entirely sure of the make hope this helps

Hi mate,

From the sounds of it, you have excessive nutrients in the water column and low light levels in the plant spectrum. So it sound like you might have filamentous algae which is light to dark green normally but can be white when there is low light in the aquarium so the algae can't produce a lot of chlorophyll. Now this isn't bad for the aquarium but it isn't the best looking. How often do you clean the tank including the sand substrate?

So the update on my planted tank as it stands most the plants are ok but I keep getting this green fuzzy looking slime now that is taking over my plants it's like green stringy fur I grab it out frequently and change my water within a week it's back and it's really hard to pull it away from my mosses without destroying them how do I get rid of it? The cherry shrimp and endlers don't mind it though!