Lyllie

What is this fish?

I am not an American cichlid expert by any means but why do I think it looks more like a Rivulatus.

I am willing to learn.

My bad after further study of this pic I can now see the difference.

This is a Rivulatus

riv_zpsau3kh54x.jpg

Edited by mbunamad

Hmmmmmmmm

Are you guys on crack or sumthin?

It doesnt even look like a Blue Acara.........

It definately has some Silver Saum Rivulatus in it

I always thought Blue Acara's had a protruding bottom lip compared to the top part of the mouth - hard to see in that pic

And it has too much sheen on its side , rather than blue flecks

And Acaras had a vertical stripe thru their eye

And didnt blue Acara's have an orange stripe on their dorsal? Don't recall it ever being friggin white ffs

Edited by borntobreed

At [MENTION=89]borntobreed[/MENTION]

Lighting to can have a varied effect on photography. To me, I am thinking there me be a light in front of and above the fish affecting the photo. I believe this is causing the "sheen" effect. It looks like a young fish, so still time for the lower jaw to bulge out. The line on top of the dorsal could well be orange. To me it doesn't look white, it does look faded orange/pink. There is a vertical stripe through the eye and cheek, it's faded, but it's definitely there.

Thanks guys, the input is very much appreciated. Joller, thanks so much for that link. I've had a look through that and I'm convinced it's some kind of Aequidens or Adinocara (are they the same thing?).

To confuse the situation even more, both Acara's colours had been showing up brilliantly, but today both are less colourful, one has faded right out but the other has less colour but super obvious stripes which it's never had before, they're usually quite pale. They are both doing a weird body shake thing and have taken over a corner of the tank and are chasing off even the big red Severums so I'm picking they might be mating? Anyway, I've taken another picture of the one whose stripes have darkened because maybe seeing the markings more clearly may help? I've tried to dim the lighting down too

pk333 you are spot on, that picture above is with the tank lights on and a flash. But, we just checked and they do still have a definite sheen to them, on the top fin, about half way down it almost looks like fine glitter.

Oh, and the top of the fin is definitely not orange, no hint of colour at all. Basically, they seem to have a pale grey base colour, darker grey stripes, a pink/red tinge through the fins with a blue/green sheen in spots but not all over like the EB's. The edges of the fins are white except for the bottom front one which is edged in black and a very bright blue.

This picture is a bit washed out but you can get the gist of the markings at least.

post-16442-14711634555269_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lyllie

Basically the acara like cichlids used to be part of the Aequidens genus, but then were moved to their own genus, Andinoacara. So yes, technically they are same thing as people and publications are often slow to keep up to date with changes to taxonomy .

One of the best resources for Andinoacara online is; http://www.lem.net/alf/andinoacara-eng.htm

One of the big problems with living in Australia, due to our restrictive import laws, we simply aren't familiar with so many of the species in the hobby as Europeans, Asians and Americans, and unless you have real interest in a particular family of fish and keep up to date with new discoveries and changes to taxonomy, it's easy for us to confuse species some times.

It's possible your fish is a tank strain blue acara, a hybrid or a location variant we aren't familiar with. Without talking to the LFS where you bought it from, Australian wholesaler, overseas wholesaler and/or exporter we'll likely never know.

I'm not up to date with what is here or not here, and you never know what is here in peoples private collections.

It's been a while but these guys used to be here, only really saw them for about two or three years before they seem to disappear.

aequidenswhat018.jpg

They came through Pet City I think around 2009/2010, maybe earlier, as an unidentified acara species. I believed them to be Andinoacara sapayensis.

Edited by pk333