littlebitfishy

Help!! My Discus Is Dying

G'day,

The best way to get help/input from other Page members is to provide as much information as possible in your post.

What is the size and dimensions of your tank?

What SPECIES of fish do you have? (This helps identify potential aggression or overstocking problems.)

How long has it been set up? Is it CYCLED? (This can rule out cycling issues.)

What are your water parameters:

Temperature

Ammonia reading

Nitrite reading

Nitrate reading

PH

GH

KH

It's not sufficient to say that your water tests "okay" or "fine". Sometimes a misunderstanding about WATER CHEMISTRY requirements is the root of the problem. If you don't have TEST KITS, you should purchase them. In the meantime, your LFS (Local Fish Store) will probably test your water for you -- just be sure to get the actual results rather than just "they're all good".

How long have you had the fish and what symptoms do they have?

What do you FEED them?

Have you introduced any newfish recently?

What is your MAINTENANCE schedule, and what product/s (if any) do you use to neutralize chlorine or chloramines in your TAP WATER? (This helps to determine if a new disease has been introduced to the tank or if it's some kind of husbandry problem.)

If you have something unusual to describe, please do so.

Post a photo/s if possible.

To add to what I have posted.

As close as you can guess, what is the size of your discus. There is a huge difference between 5cm and 10cm.

What substrate do you have in the tank.

Discus generally are not a beginner fish. Young discus require very clean water, which means lots of large water changes (I mean daily, as in every day) and 3, 4 or 5 feeds a day of good quality food/s. Seriously young/small discus should not be kept in or tried to be grow out in, a community or display tank.

Discus are also a schooling fish. They feel much more comfortable in a group of 6 or more. It's not surprising for a young single discus to slowly go down hill.

I have 3 discus all ranging from5-10cm but the 7cm is hiding in one of my hollow wood and is on an angel. It is a peaceful community tank. It has been happening for 2 days now. it is a 4f by 1.5f tank. I have had the fish tank for a year and the rest of my fish are fin\good\great and I do and have checked my water results and there is no problem with them.

:help:

Edited by littlebitfishy

I have 3 discus all ranging from5-10cm but the 7cm is hiding in one of my hollow wood and is on an angel. It is a peaceful community tank. It has been happening for 2 days now. it is a 4f by 1.5f tank. I have had the fish tank for a year and the rest of my fish are fin\good\great and I do and have checked my water results and there is no problem with them.

:help:

Is it trying to breed with the Angel?

Where have you been @littlebitfishywithmanyquestions?

You and your weird sense of humour have been missed by me. unthanks!! bgomf.

@pk333alwayshelpful You never know if this guy/gal is serious. Be warned!!

One of his/her past gems.

http://www.qldaf.com/forums/general-aquarium-discussion-19/show-off-your-rams-kribs-discus-guppys-123524/

Edited by mbunamad

You do really need to answer those questions in depth that I posted.

You need to list all the fish in the tank. You might think it's a peaceful tank, but it could be other fish stressing out the discus. When did you buy the discus? did you buy them altogether or individually from seperate LFS.

If you really want some help, you need to provide as much information as possible.

At this point, I don't know if the discus is scared, stressed, sick or what. All I know is it's hiding.

I don't know what you are feeding it.

I don't know what else is in the tank.

etc

You're still not giving us enough information.

How many Kribs (my opinion not suitable to keep with discus. I'm assuming you mean Congo tetras. What type of gourami?

Still have answered the questions about water values, maintenance schedule, tank set up etc.

Really, if you want to keep discus watch this video from beginning to end. If you don't have time to watch this video, you don't have time to keep discus.

I might be sounding harsh, but you aren't making it easy to help you and it's frustrating. Any way, watch the video and work out if you have the time to keep discus.

Thanks guys for your comments, I am only 13 years old and in grade 7. I'm not a fish pro yet and a really appreciate your helpful advise, plus I have only had a fish tank for 9 months. Sorry about the so called humour... I actually meant what I wrote and I thought they were good questions.

Thanks guys for your comments, I am only 13 years old and in grade 7. I'm not a fish pro yet and a really appreciate your helpful advise, plus I have only had a fish tank for 9 months. Sorry about the so called humour... I actually meant what I wrote and I thought they were good questions.

People on here do want to help you..have you got an API test kit or a similar brand that you can test your water with?..the test results will tell us a lot about your water and where the problem may be.

Are you doing regular water changes? Discus need very clean water to thrive. Get back to us and tell us a bit about what you do to take care of your fish - your regular routine and we can then help you....we want you to succeed in your hobby and for it to be enjoyable for you.

@littlebitfishy welcome to the forum and fish keeping.

There is a lot more involved in keeping fish as a hobby than many people think. Some times there is so much to learn it's information over load. I'm sure many people here will tell, the best way to learn is by reading. There are some very good book and magazines available to the hobby. And there are some good forums and web sites that have a lot of good articles about fish keeping as well.

But often the best help you can find is by joining a fish club. If your parents allow you to go, there is a club that meets once a month near Toombul Shopping centre.

http://www.qcichlid.org

When I first got in to fish back in 2007, I spent 6 many months reading a lot of the articles on Cichlid Forum before I even bought my first tank. Especially the articles in the library section. By doing all this reading I learnt a lot on tank set up, the right type aquascaping, what fish can be kept together and what fish not to keep together.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/

And to this day, I still make mistakes. And I am still learning. It's unfortunate part of the hobby, but sometimes our mistakes mean fish die. For me, when this happens I try and learn from it and not make the mistake again.

If you are interested in discus, I suggest you watch the video below. It's a long video, but covers all the basics about keeping discus and the do's and don'ts. I listen to the video at least once a week, often when I am doing water changes on my discus tanks. Maybe it can help you and answer some of your questions.

Edited by pk333

I added my discus over a month from private breeders, the fish I have: in my tank are Krib, rummy nose, ell tailed catfish, ram, chain loach, Black sharks, Congo, gourami.

That's all I have.

I suggest, get rid of the kribs, detailed catfish, black sharp and probably the gourami. Not all peaceful fish are peaceful together.

Pete and lictoga will give some good advice.

I hate cleaned this thread. Not impressed with some of the posts. People need to have a good look at how they post.