gingerbeer

It is realy Hot Hot Topic 20 November 2015 - Charity Auctions - Movember

It has been hot. Real Hot.

So, I had in mind to run a number of charity auctions. The first one I had in mind was for Movember this Month. Movember is a charity organisation that targets men's health.

When Bill Smith's needs became apparent we changed course to take care of one of our own with needs.

It became apparent in running that auction that the hiding of the auction from the feed worked against us so we will address that.

I am willing to run a Movember auction next weekend, upload from say Monday, if there are enough members who say I am selling. As before the percentage to give is up to you, I suggest a minimum of 10%.

I will be influenced by members who say hell yeah!, and have a dodgy Mo, with a picture!

It needs to be FAR more accountable than that. As I have mentioned previously there needs to be a QLDAF account that the money goes to. Once all payments are in QLDAF can then make the donation. This entire charity thing runs on trust and it's easy to see that this is going to blow up. There is no accountability. No-one knows that donations have actually been made. This was raised by myself previously without being addressed. If you are serious gingerbeer then you need to set up an account that can be used solely for collecting donations. It needs to be accountable to ensure nobody is getting conned. I entered a number of lots in the last auction and would not do so again without some clarity. This all sounds just far too vague....

Edited by none

How about a live chat giveaway auction similar to the lotto one a month back. Some members donate fish/dry goods and we all bid on chat. The highest bid wins, with all the money going in the pot for charity etc.

With all the items donated, there will a few bargains up for grabs from generous members and the money made for the worthy cause will no doubt be more than the 10% donation otherwise raised.

I'll donate a couple of lots, mbuna can donate his bloody powder, someone can act as treasurer and count the pennies, win win all round!

Last time the giveaway got heaps of members online and with a low minimum bid of say $1 I'm sure everything will sell.

I will kick in a couple of Male HMPK bettas.

Winners can deposit money in to the QLDAF account. And when I have confirmation from who ever is in charge of the account the money has been donated, the winner/s can arrange pick up with me.

How about members donate fish /plants / live food / goods etc by dropping them off to QLDAF arranged collection point.

That's it.

QLDAF sells or auctions items, collects money at pickup. No percentage returned as these are donations.

Who will take these fish, plants, live food, powder, dry goods home and look after them until they are sold?

Or am I not understanding what you mean?

How about a live chat giveaway auction similar to the lotto one a month back. Some members donate fish/dry goods and we all bid on chat. The highest bid wins, with all the money going in the pot for charity etc.

With all the items donated, there will a few bargains up for grabs from generous members and the money made for the worthy cause will no doubt be more than the 10% donation otherwise raised.

I'll donate a couple of lots, mbuna can donate his bloody powder, someone can act as treasurer and count the pennies, win win all round!

Last time the giveaway got heaps of members online and with a low minimum bid of say $1 I'm sure everything will sell.

Yeah Chris I agree. Last time was good fun and the big attraction I reckon is, it's "live"

What do others think? Any input good or bad? Anything? Speak up? Interested?

There were only a small number of lots in the Bill auction. So where are all these free donations going to come from?? If Bills cause could only get those few lots then I think the idea of everyone donating things is fantasy. Talk is cheap. Also unless we are going to change this from QLDAF to BAF not much good having things dropped off at a collection point in Brisbane for the rest of us outside the S.E corner..

I think we need to reevaluate what the true purpose of QLDAF. I'm not sure if it has a charter like registered organisations. We have a couple of official fishclubs, if it's part of their charter to conduct charity events then best to course it to these clubs. They are more prepared/set up with accountants/treasurers, club bank accounts, committees that will be responsible on this.

these movember event is big already (every company, clubs etc. are doing this similar events - becomes a routine now) and not having qldaf participate on this won't hurt. more work i would say, with the time better devoted on concerns, people are raising on this site.

Gingerbeer's purpose is noble, but with the lack of support (or if QLDAF is not set up to this), it'll be a futile endeavor.

Who will take these fish, plants, live food, powder, dry goods home and look after them until they are sold?

Or am I not understanding what you mean?

If the auction is arranged by QLDAF then the best way to ensure goods are satisfactory/available/problem resolution is for QLDAF to have item ownership BEFORE auction(s) start. Auctions can start as soon as goods have been received and properly packed fish can last a week (temperatures permitting). Drop off points (and payment collection from buyers) can be arranged with approved QLDAF members Australia wide or shipping can be paid for by donator.

As has been mentioned, online auctions are not going to work unless the seller is happy to make a loss or the buyer is happy to pay above market prices.... so it's not worth considering unless that is clearly understood.

If the auction is owned/run by private seller then it's just a private transaction.