RobynO

Recent Hi temps causing concern

Hello,

I have my 260 litre tank outside in a sun & weather protected area of our patio.

Recent high temps in the Gold Coast (SE Qld) have reached about 30 ambient air, causing our swimming pool to reach 29, & similarly the goldfish tank.

I have been able to cool the tank water only slightly by adding frozen water bottles but even 5 litres of ice does not last long or reduce the tank temp by more than about 0.5 .

So now the tank is at 28.5 & the fish are active (pretty much as usual) & eating well.

I am running 4 air lines to attempt to keep the 02 as high as possible but other than that ...............????

Can anyone advise a better temp control method or even if this is necessary?

Thanks

My indoor goldfish tank is currently 32 degrees. they're ok. Remember lots of goldfish come from Thailand where it's always hot. If you do want to cool the water though, don't put ice or iced bottles in the tank as this causes the water to stratify - the warm water rises and there will be cold pockets in the bottom of the tank. It's worse for the fish to be swimming in an out of cold pockets than for the water to be warmer than is ideal. The best way to cool a tank is to angle a fan (like a pedestal fan) so that it blows over the surface of the water. This will reduce the temp by 1-2 degrees. Just make sure the fan can't fall into the tankl!

I am also on the Gold coast...and my tanks sat on 29 most of last summer...I too keep goldfish ...3 large comets and 2 fat shubunkins...in a tank

Last year I did more water changes to keep the water fresh and you can also consider removing the lids and replacing them with some sort of mesh - lighting diffuser (also called egg crate)post-14718-1471163456129_thumb.jpg or shade cloth to keep fish in, allows heat from water to escape and more airflow over surface of tank to reduce heat ... my fish coped with it quite well last year...if you think it is getting too warm do a water change...freshens them up..

Edited by ORANGEMELLY

Thanks for the helpful comment.

I am very careful to monitor the tank temp because at this point my personal experience is quite limited with goldfish.

Also it's plain that summer temps will be higher yet.

After posting yesterday I noted at about 2.30 pm:

Tank temp 28.7

Ambient shade temp not measured

Indoor temp with aircon on 27.5

Swimming pool temp 30

By that time I had used 4 frozen water bottles & reduced the tank temp by maybe only 1 degree.

I am not concerned with temp layering because my fish are of a good size & very active. Also the circulation (to filter) pump is rated at 2000 litres/hr.

So I see quite strong water movement, sufficient I am sure to break up any layering.

Regardless, I can't re-freeze fast enough so this is not a satisfactory remedy anyway.

Nor can I "freshen up" with water from any source likely to be at a suitable temp, currently I use a 5000 litre rain water tank which itself gets warmed towards ambient.

I know from past experience the swimming pool can reach 32 and despite the fish tank not receiving direct sunlight I expect the fish tank could reach 30-31.

My simple question now: will this be OK if & when it happens as seems likely.

I suggest you follow ORANGEMELLY'S advice. Replace lids with egg crate or another form of grated cover. Angle a fan so that it is blowing across the surface of the tank. You will need to top up daily because of evaporation, and very regular water changes will also help.

Or you can buy a chiller for the tank.

http://livingreefaquariums.com.au/chillers/

Hi. I am new to this forum. Can someone please advise. I have set up a new 516L tank and have 2 large canister filters, a UV filter and an internal filter. I have about 25 goldfish in there. Mostly small ones. In the past 6 weeks I have had 7 deaths. Very sad. The ph was off so I fixed that. The nitrates/nitrites are fine. The flow is not too much. It seems the temp sits around 28 no matter what I do. Could the deaths be due to the high temp. Should I buy a fan or a chiller? The tread makes me think the temp is not the problem but I am at a loss. Any help would be appreciated. Too much death!

Hi. I am new to this forum. Can someone please advise. I have set up a new 516L tank and have 2 large canister filters, a UV filter and an internal filter. I have about 25 goldfish in there. Mostly small ones. In the past 6 weeks I have had 7 deaths. Very sad. The ph was off so I fixed that. The nitrates/nitrites are fine. The flow is not too much. It seems the temp sits around 28 no matter what I do. Could the deaths be due to the high temp. Should I buy a fan or a chiller? The tread makes me think the temp is not the problem but I am at a loss. Any help would be appreciated. Too much death!

Start a new thread.

Sounds like new tanm syndrome

I have air coming into the tank through 3 pipes. No one is gasping at the top. I don't think it is the air. But how can I rule that out. What can I do if it is new tank syndrome? Thanks for your help. It is appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New thread