The Tech Den

An interesting read - fish digestion and water quality

Had a bit more of a read up on API and Advancing Fish Nutrition and it did bring a few more points to the table with food. Often we will look at ingredients to determine how good a food is but perhaps we should look a little further.

This is the document and well worth a read.

http://www.apifishcare.com/pdf/Food_Science_Inside-5.pdf

Personally I did not think that API had such a large research facility and was interesting it was staffed by fish nutritionists as well as aquarists, aquatic technicians and biologists so they do get more involved with the research of the food and the effects.

Hope you enjoy the read and personally I liked the part - Discussion - it invokes a bit of thought when it comes to fish food in general with water parameters.

The statistics are very easy to skew. Nutritional food will produce nitrogenous waste as a biological by-product and yes most un-ionized ammonia is excreted through gills.

If you feed fish plastic pellets for example, they will produce less ammonia. If you feed less quantity of same food, you will also get less ammonia.

I am posting this in interests of continuing fish nutrition discussion. It's also important to know whether a fish keeper is feeding for breeding, feeding for growth, feeding for maintenance etc....

Appreciate the input [MENTION=506]aquaholic[/MENTION]s99 and yes this is intended for good conversation. As you mentioned that a plastic pellet as such will produce less nitrogenous waste in the same token it will also lack the digestibility and not processing and passing of the food and waste as a different form in comparison to a more highly digestible food, personally I would be more inclined to look at the API a maintenance based food and although it does not mean that by feeding will prevent breeding but may not present the stimulus of live/frozen foods can present same as it will not prevent a fish from growing in fact the results that they found at the API research centre did show very good growth and colour. There are many facets to nutrition and the results that you want to achieve as you have mentioned.

So what did API put into their food to get the results - they utililised absorption with adding in zeolite.

X2xbXC6Is8E4ccmvOLbZg7LbSA41GmIBBdROqJMLdUfd=w1920-h1080-rw

post-1338-14711634568019_thumb.jpg

Appreciate the input [MENTION=506]aquaholic[/MENTION]s99 and yes this is intended for good conversation. As you mentioned that a plastic pellet as such will produce less nitrogenous waste in the same token it will also lack the digestibility and not processing and passing of the food and waste as a different form in comparison to a more highly digestible food' date=' personally I would be more inclined to look at the API a maintenance based food and although it does not mean that by feeding will prevent breeding but may not present the stimulus of live/frozen foods can present same as it will not prevent a fish from growing in fact the results that they found at the API research centre did show very good growth and colour. There are many facets to nutrition and the results that you want to achieve as you have mentioned. So what did API put into their food to get the results - they utililised absorption with adding in zeolite. [/quote']

Left field but would the zeolite be good for plants in the same way certain clays are meant to be good with a high cation exchange capacity?? Just wondering if plants can use say ammonia on zeolites.

interesting read. but there are a number of problems with that study: they don't give weight/amount of food used and they don't give protein and nitrogen content of the foods used so there is no real comparison. could be just the fact that competitor x has more protein in the food. to compare foods you would also have to look at growth rate and total growth, which is both related to protein available.

the zeolite addition is a bit questionable. it is true that zeolite absorbs ammonia (amongst other things), but the zeolite is in the stomach, the ammonia travels in the blood before excreted through the gills. so how is the zeolite going to absorb the ammonia? it is more likely to just add as a filler, reducing the overall protein content by weight. or it may potentially absorb some of the nutrients, making them unavailable for the fish's digestion.

that study, at least as presented, is what I would call pseudo-scientific - pretty graphs without any real meaning because of (intentional) bad experimental setup. they do want to find reasons why their food is better, after all - and why they should be able to charge more for it...

That's gold, I think if I ever get bored one day I will pick up the phone and call a pet shop and ask "I am after a fish food for my plants in my pond, I have lots of plants - what would you recommend"

🤔I suppose it means you can have 30% more fish in the tank💩😉😜

Perhaps..lol - I do not know about you but sometimes plant growth in a pond can be over rated and having to cut them back - I cut back all the tanks I use to have at home, to just one planted tank and the plants go nuts and cutting them back drives me crazy - just wish they would stay pretty close to when they are cut back - I think I have more plant that water at the moment.

[MENTION=4633]regani[/MENTION] - I have requested for a bit more information for you in regards to their testing - I am not confident that they will mention names on testing and understandable in this day and age.

[MENTION=15893]The[/MENTION]TechDen thanks for requesting that. it will be interesting what additional data they can provide

No problem - I have emailed our rep for API that looks after Australia as well as other regions as well as API and they did mention that it can take 2-3 days to get a reply so might not have an answer for a couple of days - with most brand names being trade marked I do not expect to get a competitor name but that is the norm in this day and age.