smicko

Why can't I grow duckweed

It takes over my tanks but when I put it outside it dies.

And it's not just duckweed, I've tried guppy grass, swords, azolla, frogbit and I will even admit trying water lettuce but it all dies.

I keep having to do waterchanges on the ponds because algae takes over, usually green/brown water with stringy algae.

What am I missing? Can anyone suggest another plant that would take up enough nutrients to stop the algae.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers mick

Only other things in the ponds are fish.

I could try elodea, I've also been thinking of umbrella sedge.

I'm tempted to pour some api leaf zone into one to see if it helps.

Cheers mick

What fish do you have in the pond?

Goldfish love to eat duckweed....so do rainbows

Hornwort is a good pond plant......but lots of bog plants are Good too

Especially if they shade the water

I have rainbows and bn, i didn't know rainbows ate duckweed but I've tried plenty of other plants including hornwort without success which was making me think I may need some leaf zone but I don't want to make the algae problems worse.

I will try and shade part of the ponds and see what happens.

Cheers mick

barley strawin the pond will stop the algae, experiment with a small amount. it does work.

mickey the dart

Hey mickey, would you know where I could find some? I have been to a few stock feed places and can only find barley hay which is straw mixed with grass.

Cheers mick

barley straw and barley hay is the same thing, it's the cut and baled barley plant after the barley has been harvested. because they wait till after harvest it's seasonal, but there should be a fair bit around this time of year, just have a look at barley hay adds on gumtree.

ill second that it needs shade. I have 2 ponds outside one is covered with shade cloth the other isn't. the shade cloth pond has a heap of happy duck weed the other has just a few little bits left

I have decided to go with some type of sedge and lilly as well as shade cloth.

I have two steel bathtubs that are getting rather warm, i will use shade cloth to try and drop temps.

Cheers mick