GotCrabs

Darwin Algae or Glass Shrimp

I'm in the beginning stages of a natives tank, will be ordering Spotted Blue Eyes and Threadfin Rainbows from AquaGreen this Friday, question is, which shrimp should I get in weeks to come? The Darwin Algae Shrimp or Glass Shrimp? Which are a better clean up crew for a tank.

Cheers.

Darwin Algae and Darwin red nose are good for eating nuisance algae long as you don't overfeed them, if they are fed too well they don't do alot of cleaning.

I personally wouldn't have any with blue eyes and rainbows as they will be eaten.

The adults might survive but shrimplets will definitely be food.

Cheers mick

Cheers [MENTION=885]smicko[/MENTION], just wasn't sure which out of the two would be better, so will go with DAS and give DRN a crack also.

Have kept DAS, Chameleon and Threadfins in the past no worries, the Threadfins mouth and throat are too small to pick at the shrimp, will probably grab a juvi here and there though, cheers for that.

You could also try catching some glass shrimp locally, make sure that if you do put them in a qt for a while before adding to the tank and if any have white flesh visible cull them off as it can be a kind of necrosis.

Also catch them once the creek is warmer than the tank you are keeping them in, shrimp handle cooler temps alot better than warmer.

I never thought there would be much life in creeks down south but after seeing the video from tassie I reckon SA would have some as well.

Cheers mick

Yeah where I am we don't have any fresh water creeks/rivers around, it's only salt water, so if I want Glass I'd have to buy them online, hate it that I can't just walk outside and grab native fish and shrimp, jealous of the folk that can, I'd have to travel a good couple hours to come across a fresh water creek where I am, good ol' country South Australia, when you look on places like Google Maps, you see water areas, thing is those place are dry and have been for years.