Lyllie

Hydra filters/depurators opinion after using for a while

So this is just some feedback on the Hydra 50 and Hydra 20 filters we purchased a little while ago.

I'll just try and keep this post short and sweet. Firstly, if you don't know what they are they are a filter which has a set of electronic metal plates inside them and as water flows over them they basically zap the water and kill or neutralise ammonia, nitrites, nitrates etc. I don't know the exact science behind it all, I just know it works.

Here are some examples of where it has worked for us.

1. We started a new cichlid tank, placed our fish in and switched on the Hydra filter. No cycling at all, it was filled and stocked on the same day. A couple of days later we woke up and our tank looked like milk, you literally couldn't even see more than 10cm into the tank. It took us 4 days to work out that the gravel we'd been given secondhand, and washed a zillion times, was riddled with dead snail shells which caused a huge bacteria bloom. So we pulled it all out and replaced it with new stuff. Through all of that and readings of Ammonia and Nitrite completely off the charts, but our fish swam around just as happy as could be. It didn't bother them at all. We were a bit confused by the readings but it turns out that if there are high amounts of ammonia etc in the tank it may talk a few goes through the filter before it is all removed, but in the meantime it just neutralises it.

2. We started a live bearer tank, placed our fish in and switched on a Hydra filter. No cycling at all, it was filled and stocked on the same day. Has been there now for over a month, hasn't had a glitch, all fish are happy, water is crystal clear. We didn't need to add the fish in bit by bit either, we decided what we wanted, got them all on the same day and put them all in. On this tank, the Ammonia and Nitrite is never above zero and the Nitrates sit somewhere between 0 and 5 depending on the day. (we've now done this with another tank that contains cichlids and had the same results)

3. I haven't done this one but I've seen it firsthand. One Hydra filter and some salt added to a tank and left overnight, marine fish added (clowns and seahorses) and weeks later happy fish and not one issue.

These filters do have to be removed if you ever need to medicate because they'll zap and neutralise the medication so we have one fully cycled normal filter ready to go at all times. So basically I think they're amazing and I would recommend them without hesitation. We almost didn't purchase one due to negative opinions on them but all of those negative opinions were from people who had never owned one and just 'thought' it wouldn't work. I'm glad we tried it for ourselves.

I think Tech Den and Red Dragon Aquatics both have these.

I'd hate too be a fish owned by you , straight up added too an aquarium hoping that a filter that has big claims will keep me alive.

I've heard they do an alright job at keeping nitrate levels low on small applications, but so does water changes and tank maintenance.

Agree with above... While hydra filters r great they certainly dont negate the need for cycling or water changes. I love and recomend my hydra but it should be used as secondsry filtration on top of biological filtration.

That's okay, you are both completely welcome to your opinions. I'm not an experienced fishkeeper by any stretch of the imagination, but I know enough to know when my fish are happy and well, and they are.

Actually I should have commented on the fact that tank maintenance remains exactly the same. You still have to do your regular water changes, gravel cleans, conditioning etc. And if I felt that ALL it had were big claims then I wouldn't have tried it. I have other tanks here so worse case scenario would have been the fish looked unwell, move them.

Actually you know what. It doesn't matter. I posted this because when I was looking for information on these filters there were so many judgemental posts and very few from people who had actually trialled them and then posted about it. I thought this forum may be different, I was wrong. I'll have post removed.

Actually you know what. It doesn't matter. I posted this because when I was looking for information on these filters there were so many judgemental posts and very few from people who had actually trialled them and then posted about it. I thought this forum may be different, I was wrong. I'll have post removed.

check arofanatics for a full thread on it. it works and i was skeptical at first to use it.

Hey hey hey we are all entitled to our own opinion I don't know or care much for the hydras it's just and opinion chill out

Of course you're entitled to your opinions. But you don't basically accuse people of being bad fishkeepers or rookies who can't be assed doing research, based on those opinions. Isn't that doing something without knowing all the facts? What you basically accused me of?

I assume if these filters take the place of cycling a tank....then the tank isn't cycled

If they are removed to medicate a tank.....then you basically have your fish in an uncycled tank?

I think the point is that helps with the initial spike but not all nitrification is done solely by filters. For that matter some medications will have an effect on bacteria and in the reverse the Hydra could present an option?

Don't listen to them Lylle, people will always attack what they do not understand, granted you probably made a mistake but I think the comments towards your thread are worded very badly at best and at worst are from know-it-alls. You have every right to be cranky, there is a way to talk to a person.

I am glad your hydras worked out for you, I was thinking of trying one myself, thank you for the review.

Hi [MENTION=16442]Lyllie[/MENTION] thank you for your post. I have been looking at these for a while but have never taken the plunge. It is thanks to people like you who care to review something new on market instead of quickly dismissing it. Please let me know how you go in the long term.

The interesting thing is that these filters fly in face of what we are basically taught which is in the initial process of cycling we are looking for the key factors of the initial spike in Ammonia followed by Nitrite and then Nitrate and the requirement of the build up of bacteria to then continue the process of nitrification.

Now we have something new that basically says it gives the final process with the requirement of beneficial bacteria to do the job. Are people sceptical because of this - well yes as it goes against everything that we have been taught.

So long as it can do what it claims and from the reference that [MENTION=16442]Lyllie[/MENTION] did and do not believe their is any bias in his information, it does.

Firstly in the first example - although in his first example his readings were off the chart - yet there should have been deaths but there were not and although I would not consider his example normal in the respect that he stated the substrate would not be the same as what you would use yet the result yielded not a death and most would expect that there would have been.

Secondly in the second test - and again with testing his results were near nil which is consistent with the statements provided by company on manufacture. Obviously the test kit is not compromised as it was able to show varying results. This is results we generally look for in a traditional filtration.

Usually with good water conditions the requirement for medications being required is reduced. Rod does raise a good point with the medication side that if a 7 day treatment is required and you do need to stop the Hydra is there going to be enough beneficial bacteria to pull you through to the other side also taking into consideration that some medications can effect beneficial bacteria?

So with that question raised has anyone had a need to medicate with the Hydra - and what did you find?

@tristran as you use both tradition as well as the hydra have you tried turning off the hydra? have you noticed any elevated levels - I think this would be a good test. I could do this with the work systems that have the Hydras as well as traditional filtration but I could be considered bias.

i have one and used it on an ibc with about 200 4cm to 6cm yankies i was using as feeders,

it was the only filter apart from a 2200 lph canister filter,

they worked great together, and after reading this thread i might just pull it out and do some more tests,

i do believe they help, but can't say they how much, but my ibc did well and no deaths,