QldMick

moba holding - strip or not to strip

hey guys i finally got my moba to breed, wondering what opinions are out there on weather to strip or not. she has been caught and eggs checked and still holding, currently in 1.5mx1mx~0.5m, tank is now divided in two with the female on her own with a few hides and some dead liverock/coral piles to hopefully help her feel secure.

my question is weather to strip or not as it looks like a big mouthful with only undeveloped eggs, hard to see her holding that brood, but then again i dont want her used to spitting in the first week.

anyway just looking for ideas as ive been waiting a while for these ones to get their grove on.

cheers

mick

Strip. It's rare that Zaire's hold in a captive environment. Strip anytime from day 4 or 5 onwards and put in a quality tumbler like a Ziss. The longer you leave her the more chance on survival rate of any eggs that you strip, however the more chance she will spit and you will end up with zero. That's my 2 cents anyway (btw we are talking about a Moba Frontosa right? lol)

thanks stoney for the reply. yes moba frontosa, well she held about a week and spat, I can live with it for her first time. tank is 1mx1.5m so I had it divided diagonally with with pvc hides for her and coral rubble piles to make her feel more comfortable to release.

I'm glad to see they've started breeding now tho.

cheers

mick

I strip everytime. Altho I call it extract. Never found it impacted on a mums future willingness to hold full term. If possible I give them a week to mature to make tumbling easier BUT if I am not 100% confident, then I extract.

Extract like a ninja, squirt eggs out, gentle and fast like a pro. Minimal trauma. Maximum haul.