Wouldn't really think any more than normal. As with every hobby life gets in the way at some stage and people downsize to a mor manageable level, but there's always new people coming through

It's tested my patience a few times in the last 12 months but I keep trying to bounce back, keep telling myself to take a break and start fresh but just have a massive interest in native fish and shrimp and want something to sit back, watch and enjoy, other things going on in life haven't helped either, to be honest the past 3 years have been real bad for my family and I and aren't getting any better, so when things go wrong with an aquarium, I tend to crack it big time as fish tanks relax me, well to watch anyway.

I'm giving this one last crack and if things don't work out then I will be taking a long break for awhile me thinks.

I'm trying to scale down due to the power bill increasing.

We avoid the air conditioning and heaters.

Budget where we can... but the end story business end up sucking up all your money.

The hobby has lost some great hobbyists over the last few years, some are taking a break and some unfortunately won't be back.

There will always be new people but the amount of experienced and helpful people that are gone will be hard to replace short term.

I've had a break for a few years a while ago as with some others that had life get in the way.

Not so long ago the trader was so active that if you put an ad up it could drop to page 3 by the end of the day, it's alot quieter now as most people sell on facebook these days.

I think the biggest issues are water amd power prices climbing making the hobby uneconomical for a lot of people.

Cheers mick

[MENTION=885]smicko[/MENTION]acdclover said:

"it's alot quieter now as most people sell on facebook these days. "

And Gumtree?? Why?? Better prices for sellers??

I know farcebook is the "in" place for all things wonderful but why are members of qldaf deserting the trader on here and using farcebook?

Is this a concern for qldaf?

how many tanks is every one running? are we talking like a 6ft display and a couple smaller ones in the spare room / shed. and how much would you say its costing to run?

Here is a list for you [MENTION=204]mbunamad[/MENTION]tooldtoknowgoodmusic

Reasons for selling on facebook 101

1-Reach more people

2-Less no shows

3-Target selling on groups for specific types of fish

4-Australia wide sales

5-Everything sells quicker

6-Buyers recommending you to others

7-Direct messaging to the phone means buyers don't need to wait until you're online

8-More accountability to buyers and sellers

9-Easier to upload photos

10-Potential to get a stalker, always good value

I don't use Gumtree so I can't comment on that part.

That's just how I see it but I don't sell a lot these days so others may have better answers.

Maybe [MENTION=4423]steveandjules[/MENTION] could comment, being a mod on here and admin on a group he might have more insight into the differences good and bad.

I'm not sure what the forum could do to change things, most people like seeing everything in one place and facebook provides that.

It's a complete system with access to buy anything that interests you (not just fish) as well as catch up with friends, family and stalk you're favourite celebrity.

I think the forum is becoming more of a social group and library for people with the same interests which I think is a good thing, the trader used to dominate the forum with a lot of people just buying and selling without contributing to helping others or showing off there latest acquisition.

More people are becoming part of the community the forum provides lately which can't be a bad thing.

Cheers mick

Edited by smicko

i found selling here you were selling to other breeders, so most times you have to sell lower,

but face book is catching up, prices on face book and gumtree are around the same on here,

i think you get as many no shows on any selling place, i get heaps on face book,

i do believe face book you can get a different type of buyer, as you do on gumtree,

when i was trying to sell i would use all 3 places, but thats not really my main thing now,

i don't think it matters at the moment, prices are low, money is short, running costs are up, so now its a buyers market not a sellers one,

if somebody had a huge shed you could fill it easy with all sized tanks and racks at a very cheap price,

example, i put up 50 x 4cm/5cm africans for $100, wanted to empty a tank, never got a bite, not even as feeders, no money to buy fish, to many people selling up,

its just the way it is,

trouble with face book is you lose so much posted info, here it stays, you have somewhere to look back at,

its funny though, qldaf was once seen as a trading forum, nobody hardly posted anything but sales or wtb, but now the other sections are used way more,

in the end you can't please everybody, so its better to go with the flow,

as a mod here and admin on a couple face book groups i can tell you on face book you get 10 x the amount of abuse and threats then here, and "friends" turn on you so quickly on face book, why? because its easy to open a new account or join under a fake name, so you aren't held accountable for what you say or do,

Some of them things are a little surprising.

There is an abundance of keyboard warriors on fb so the threat part doesn't surprise me which is a little sad.

I'm happy that I don't sell much and just keep what I like after reading Steve's comments.

I have also noticed there is alot of onsellers on facebook especially on the auction groups when not many people are bidding, usually a few days after an auction you will see the same things at a higher fixed price.

Cheers mick

its sad to see that happen, i personally only buy things i'm going to use. is there much fluctuation on fish and items for sale at different times of the year?

I currently have 12 @ 30x15 3 @ 30x18 12 36x15x18 1 @ 2ft cube 1 @ 2ftx18x24 1@ 4X18X20 running all of my larger tanks are shut down ( except the one 4ft )

The reasons for my 36x18x18 and the tier stand 4fts being shut down are my health , my power bill , and I sold the lights off them , and the heaters ( T5ho lights are stupidly expensive to run ( especially when you have 30 or so light fittings . ) I have yet to find 4ft LED fittings that are cheap and good .

Anyway since I stopped breeding "Tangs" I do not really have fish big enough to need a 4ft .

[MENTION=885]smicko[/MENTION]acdclover said:

"it's alot quieter now as most people sell on facebook these days. "

And Gumtree?? Why?? Better prices for sellers??

I know farcebook is the "in" place for all things wonderful but why are members of qldaf deserting the trader on here and using farcebook?

Is this a concern for qldaf?

Bloody Facestalk, had a run in with a guy yesterday, he was selling a piece of mangrove root and I asked a simple question, "where did he get it from" his reply "the moon". He was not happy with my reply, good old Facestalk, granted not all but seems to attract them, I suppose it is just people these days.

Act like a child and I will treat you like one, that's my Facestalk motto, this situation is why I have no personal details on Stalkbook.

Facebook has a much larger viewing platform. Post something on FB and hundreds of people see it within a few hours. You've got a much higher chance of selling on FB.

That may be true, but not up here, people on Stalkbook just offer much, much less than what things are worth, I always sell very cheaply, and I mean bargain pricing. But the local Stalkbook users still offer 1/4 the cost, now I just give things away or toss them. Take my Maher tank, I was prepared to throw it or give it away rather than deal with people on Stalkbook.

I have a practically new 6 foot tank for sale and I have sold it, and sold it cheap but it was going to the tip, yes lots of people viewed it but offers were not worth my while, the tip was going to be its home if not for a mate of a mate.

i found selling here you were selling to other breeders, so most times you have to sell lower,

but face book is catching up, prices on face book and gumtree are around the same on here,

i think you get as many no shows on any selling place, i get heaps on face book,

i do believe face book you can get a different type of buyer, as you do on gumtree,

when i was trying to sell i would use all 3 places, but thats not really my main thing now,

i don't think it matters at the moment, prices are low, money is short, running costs are up, so now its a buyers market not a sellers one,

if somebody had a huge shed you could fill it easy with all sized tanks and racks at a very cheap price,

example, i put up 50 x 4cm/5cm africans for $100, wanted to empty a tank, never got a bite, not even as feeders, no money to buy fish, to many people selling up,

its just the way it is,

trouble with face book is you lose so much posted info, here it stays, you have somewhere to look back at,

its funny though, qldaf was once seen as a trading forum, nobody hardly posted anything but sales or wtb, but now the other sections are used way more,

in the end you can't please everybody, so its better to go with the flow,

as a mod here and admin on a couple face book groups i can tell you on face book you get 10 x the amount of abuse and threats then here, and "friends" turn on you so quickly on face book, why? because its easy to open a new account or join under a fake name, so you aren't held accountable for what you say or do,

I agree, Facestalk is a news medium and forums are an information medium.

To be fair, I have not had much luck buying from here, most of my fish have come from ACE.

I know nothing at all about Facecrap I do not have it I have never seen it running .

I do know that it is a computer / other device security nightmare not to mention Government spyware .

I only trust the government slightly better than the local drug dealer and law enforcement very little more if at all . They are just other people and like everybody else each have there own agenda .

If I had the space I would set up a fully firewalled PC and run all the flavour of the month social networking 5H1T but all of my spare space is occupied by Aquarium stuff .

What is the big deal about Facecrap anyhow ? My kids want me ( pressure me) to join up all the time . What is on there that is so compelling ?

[MENTION=1094]pony-tail[/MENTION] said:

"What is on there that is so compelling ? "

For me the one and only reason I joined was to find Betta breeders and clubs which I have done.

For others it is their life!! examples:

"I had fish and chips for dinner tonight"

"I went shopping today without my panties on"

" I will do the washing tomorrow and use Omo for a change"

And a s h I t load of other riveting stuff!!

Some people would die without farcebook because it is their life.

Having said that I am just as guilty with my use of qldaf chat. But at least some interesting and varied topics are discussed!

Oh and no I don't wear them shopping either. bgomf.