facebook isn't all bad,

yes you get some crazies, but then you do here also,

i find aside from the fish side of things facebook is great for me to keep in contact with family and friends i have left behind when i moved to brissy, yes you can always phone them, but who wants to be on the phone all day long, i'm also in a group that is for all the people i went to school with, while i don't use it much, its great to see the old photos that get posted from my school days, we even have a teacher or 2 there,

lots of good things on facebook, you just need to weed out the bad things,

yes as [MENTION=204]mbunamad[/MENTION] said there are lots of stupid posts, BUT to see them you must be on there friends list, or they post it to the public, you can set you security settings so that doesn't happen, and there is as much of those posts made here in the off topic section as you see on facebook per head,

[MENTION=1094]pony-tail[/MENTION] there are heaps of native keepers and groups,

but saying that, i'd never give up being here unless i give up fish,

The only reasons why I don't like Facebook is because of all the negative stuff you read on there, it's good to keep in touch with friends but really, what's wrong with making a call or sending a txt now and then, not 'Poking'.

I don't have Facebook, had it for years but in recent years decided to part ways with it, I have enough negative crap going on in life, I don't need to see other people's as well.

I know nothing at all about Facecrap I do not have it I have never seen it running .

I do know that it is a computer / other device security nightmare not to mention Government spyware .

I only trust the government slightly better than the local drug dealer and law enforcement very little more if at all . They are just other people and like everybody else each have there own agenda .

If I had the space I would set up a fully firewalled PC and run all the flavour of the month social networking 5H1T but all of my spare space is occupied by Aquarium stuff .

What is the big deal about Facecrap anyhow ? My kids want me ( pressure me) to join up all the time . What is on there that is so compelling ?

People just want to show you the coffee they bought or the flat tire they got, some people are ok but others are rather annoying. I may sound harsh but I don't really care your kid got fifth at a swimming carnival, and don't get me started on women and there stupid posing mirror selfies, they just do not get the dangers.

Yes Facestalk is not all that bad, but one cannot deny it is not causing social problems, i.e cyber bullying etc... I know of marriage break ups due to Farcebook, and to top it off so many deny their addiction, and some are totally addicted! I am by no means as much as conspiracy theorist as yourself but Facebook is a huge marketing platform as well, marketing is something I am very careful with, it's funny how so many fall for clever marketing strategies.

Facestalk can be used as an information and communication medium, I am on there but do not have any personal information, and almost all of my friends are turned off, meaning I do not see anything they share. I use Farcebook purely as a communication medium.

[MENTION=4423]steveandjules[/MENTION] Facebooks security has always been a joke, it may be better these days but their past leaves little reason for placing any faith.

The only reasons why I don't like Facebook is because of all the negative stuff you read on there, it's good to keep in touch with friends but really, what's wrong with making a call or sending a txt now and then, not 'Poking'.

I don't have Facebook, had it for years but in recent years decided to part ways with it, I have enough negative crap going on in life, I don't need to see other people's as well.

"poking" ? WTF is that?

The hobby has lost some great hobbyists over the last few years, some are taking a break and some unfortunately won't be back.

There will always be new people but the amount of experienced and helpful people that are gone will be hard to replace short term.

I've had a break for a few years a while ago as with some others that had life get in the way.

Not so long ago the trader was so active that if you put an ad up it could drop to page 3 by the end of the day, it's alot quieter now as most people sell on facebook these days.

I think the biggest issues are water amd power prices climbing making the hobby uneconomical for a lot of people.

Cheers mick

I would agree about the power...when I am back on my feet (just home from surgery) I want to investigate solar or other options for reducing electric costs...

I want someone to create a aquarium heater hooked up to a small solar panel like the solar air pumps we see getting around cheap on eBay, haha, that way I can heater a tub or pond, haha.

There is solar heaters available for animal drinking troughs, you could also look at evaporative heat tubes. I have looked at a full 12v room running on deep cycle batteries with a charger but I put it off until I move sometime next year.

Cheers mick

My tank room (Melbourne) is solar heated. I have a short air duct running to a north facing glasshouse that gets hot and I use a solar hot water controller (ebay ~$100) to turn a 20W exhaust fan on when the room is below the set temp and the glasshouse it hotter to suck in the hot air. IT also works in reverse if the room ever overheats it will dump excess heat at night when the glasshouse is cooler (this is yet to happen as the room is well insulated). The room is therefore regulated for the intermittent use of just 20W. I still need heaters in the thick of a Melbourne Winter when you don't see the sun for days on end but the room is so well insulated I can heat 1/3 of the tanks and the rest stay warm. If the sun does come out the glasshouse recharges the heat. LED lighting is my biggest running costs. Just the price of being a "plant guy".

Edited by Grubs

[MENTION=1094]pony-tail[/MENTION]

have a look at these FB groups

Rainbows run by Peter Matheson

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1441449619431718/

gobies & gudgeons

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1437384269848449/?ref=browser

How can he [MENTION=4856]l2h[/MENTION]heaven if he aint a member?

You have planted the seed so if I was a betting man I would say [MENTION=1094]pony-tail[/MENTION]facebooklover will be the latest farcebook noob.

Solar powered battery charger and an inverter will give you battery powered lp100.

The big expense is deep cycle batteries, start at $300 upwards.

Cheers mick

Not worth the setup cost yet, the grid is still way cheaper, heat is a problem too, heat kills the expensive deep cycles or at the very least shortens the life span,

There are other members of qldaf who are also on facebook who may buy/sell fish.

Any comments?

Is facebook a better site to buy/sell fish?

If "yes" why?

My guess the number 1 reason for sellers to use facebook would be higher prices and as @smickobananaleafsupplier said a much bigger market.

Edited by mbunamad

In my opinion

Facebook is easier to upload photos and manage ads

Facebook seems to reach more people as more people have it.

Prices don't vary noticeably.

Get tyrekickers and no shows everywhere, so no difference between forum vs facebook vs gumtree. One would think there would be less on here as it is an aquarium based forum but simply not the case

I love walking straight into people who are facebooking as they walk down the street, I don't move I hold my line. This Facebook/phone addiction is crazy, people at trafic lights checking their phones etc.

@Lofties don't pick on Mbunamad, Facebook has a bajjallian more bullies too.

I think power is the biggest impact on the hobby, plus modern people are becoming very lazy, notice how so many people say how busy they are but busy means sitting in front of the tv.

Edited by Wogboy