kbrookes

New tank, decisions, decisions

My new tank is currently three weeks into cycling, and I'm trying to decide what's going into it. 430 lies with two Eheim filters on it - a 2228 and 2215.

I'm getting out of discus because I just don't have the time to look after them as they require - so I'm looking for something hardier and more fun.

I was leaning towards an African tank - I like the idea if demasonis and electric yellows, keeping it to just two or three species.

But then I came across a beautiful green texas locally - about 20cm or so and just a great personality.

If I went with the green texas, what could I put in with him that wouldn't get destroyed?

If I go Africans, what can I do to keep it simple and reduce aggression ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Demasoni and yellows are amazing colours, if you get good ones. They will cross breed, so no good for breeding. I like the addition of a peacock or haplo species. Maybe electra?

when you go american they are bad tempered buggers. You will see tanks full of young fish, but once a pair decides to breed, it is war, typically to death. You can go big schooling fish as a tank mate to distribute aggression, like silver dollars.

Yellows are to common, they are probably in every tank in Aus! having said that they are pretty easy fish, why not try some other Labidochromis?

I agree - I'd be happy to avoid for that reason, except I'm after a fairly easy intro to Africans!

That said - Hongis fall into the Labidochromis genus, right? Those guys are stunning.

Demasoni and yellows are amazing colours, if you get good ones. They will cross breed, so no good for breeding. I like the addition of a peacock or haplo species. Maybe electra?

when you go american they are bad tempered buggers. You will see tanks full of young fish, but once a pair decides to breed, it is war, typically to death. You can go big schooling fish as a tank mate to distribute aggression, like silver dollars.

I think you're right about the Green Texas. As stunning as it is, and as puppy-like as it behaves right now, I don't think it'll make for a peaceful tank.

I'm not a huge fan of 'blotchy' or wildly multi-coloured peacocks - I'm a designer, so that'd just drive me f**king nuts. :)

While I don't like Silver Dollars, the schooling fish is a nice idea - I've heard that the Acei school - would they go OK with something like the Labidochromis (particularly Hongis) mentioned by Wogboy?

send me a pm and come and have a look at my African tank set up and go from there jason

Thanks mate, really appreciate that - you still out at the same place at the back of Caloundra? I'll give you a shout when I have a chance to get out there.

what about your smaller americans?

rainbow cichlids, sajica, blue eyes, keyholes. add in some schooling tetras, corys. rocks and anubis on drift wood

I'm actually after something a bit more dramatic looking.

I'm just winding down a discus, cory, ram and bristlenose tank. I'm keen to do something that has slightly bigger fish, hardier than discus and more dramatic looking in general.

Could always go down the native Australian and PNG fish path, some beautiful fish we have here and are easy to care for, smaller as well, Blue Eyes, Rainbows, Gudgeons, Gobies, look into 'em, great fish.

Thanks mate I'll check it out. At this stage I haven't seen much that grabs me, but I've got a local place that does more natives, so I'll go have a look.

@kbrookestony If you go with Malawis buy them either from a reputable LFS or a reputable breeder. Be aware there are a heap of sub-standard fish and hybrids getting around.

Check the breeders register on this forum.

http://www.qldaf.com/forums/breeders-registry-17/

Edited by mbunamad
addddddeddddd a linky